LADDER AND PERCH DESIGN QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chuckzoo, Apr 27, 2009.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I HAVE A 'LOFT' STYLE COOP THAT SIT 23" OVER THE RUN AND NEED TO MAKE THE LADDER FOR MY 2 BARRED ROCK CHICKS NOW 5 WEEKS OLD.
    1. WHAT ANGLE, IE HOW LONG SHOULD THE LADDER BE? I WAS THINKING OF 36 ".

2. HOW WIDE?

3. HOW FAR APART SHOULD THE RUNGS BE.

I AM PLANNING TO USE PLYWOOD AND SCREW ON 2X2" FOR THE RUNGS.

PERCH

I CURRENTLY HAVE A 2X2", WOULD A 4X2 BE BETTER? DO THEY PREFER TO WRAP THEIR TOES AROUND THE PERCH OR SIT FLAT?

THANKS!

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    2x2 is pretty big, all they need is some thing to hang their toes on, but anything is better than nothing. I had one withoiut rungs and they just walked and flapped to get up. It was the sliding board down they didn`t appreciate.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine are young, but they always attempt to fly up and sometimes down their ladder. I used 1x1's for the rungs because they were leftover from another project. Anything to prevent them from sliding down.

4. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thanks for the advice. I am rethinking my design. Do you think I could go with a 'open concept ladder' similar to a regular ladder or would they tend to slip through the spaces between the rungs. My run is not very big so I would like to take up as little visual space as possible.

5. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    My coop is raised off the ground as well and my ladder down is at approximately a 45 degree angle - 1x1's spaced about 6" apart - seems to work very well for my girls. I'm sure you need a solid surface under the slats. I'd take a pic of mine, but it's raining!

Gail

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I don't think a ladder would work.

I also used 1x1 for the rungs on my ramp because I had them left over. At first I didn't have any rungs and the girls would slide down the ramp on their booties. Needless to say, they didin't appreciate that much.

Rungs should be 6 inches or so apart. It's not a science.

Depending on the size of your door, could you put some boulders or concrete blocks for steps instead of a ramp? That might take up less space.

7. JReedy72

JReedy72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Hopewell, VA
    I thought my ramp was too steep, and I think it was for a week or two, but my girls figured it out. I used a piece of wood, about 4' x 10" and had it go from the bottom of my coop which is about 34" off the ground. The rungs were really thin - not 2x2. Maybe 1" by 1/2" - I got it at Lowe's in the trim section. I would have put the rungs closer if I had thought about the angle more, but again, they figured it out, and now that they are bigger, they have no problems. I saw one of them walk up the ramp last night like it was no big deal.

Here's a pic...

[​IMG]

Now I have put on the run, and will be adding those pics tonight.

Jason

8. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thanks for the ideas!
    I tried to upload a picture of my coop but I don't know where it went! It said it uploaded sucessfully. Can anyone tell me how to locate it and get it into my post please?
    Jenny

9. JReedy72

JReedy72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Hopewell, VA
    Go to "uploads" at the top of the screen, and then click on "my uploads" on the bottom right of the screen...

Jason

10. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    OK Thanks! Now how do I get them into my message? I tried copy and paste but it will not paste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by