ladder roost and poop tray

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't help you with ladder roost pictures. I don't use the ladder style set up because I think that kind of set up tends to create more conflict at roosting time over who gets to roost on the top rung of the ladder (they all want to roost on the highest spot). I use a single level roost with plastic boot trays set on a shelf beneath.

I think some people who do use the ladder set up with a poop tray underneath put the ladder on a hinge so they can lift it up and out of the way to remove/clean the tray.

I see I was wandering what to do I have 3 wardens and a white leghorn but I was given the leggy and 1 warren and have ran out of room in the coop. I have only a small space for them so I am trying to utilise all the space I have a available. I have drawn up a few plans but trying to make cleaning easier ie the poop trays.

interested in answers on this thread. i have a ladder roost that raises for cleaning & poop tray underneath that can be pulled out from outside the coop. wondering about how the birds will take to the roost. i'm expecting to have to make some adjustments when the chickens educate me on what they like. my ladies are coming first wk in feb. excited & anxious

You mentioned small space, but with 4 birds, a single roost at least 40 inches wide would work (although 48 would be better). A dropping board/pan is very easy to use with a single roost. It becomes a little trickier with the ladder roosts, because it takes up a lot more space depth-wise, as the ladder rungs need to be set up far enough apart/angled so birds will not be pooping down on one another...

I have a very small coop also. my 4 Aussie girls share a 2x4 roost bar of about 40 inches. They used to squabble about who roosts where, but over time have excepted their positions and really roost up well enough now.

I tried a poop board in my coop and because of the small space, they end up stepping in the poop and dragging it around anyway. So because it is so small, I clean under the roost bar each day. If the roost bar is not too tall, they do not need a step ladder.

Good luck!

3 chickens roosts on the roast and the other one roosts on nest cus there is no room. So only space isexternal nest box and a roost thats all the room I currently have inside the coop so it's a really big push to build the new one with everything I need so I dont have to go back and remodel the coop in future.

Back
Top Bottom