Ladder roost question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LD Jackson, May 17, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    I am still in the process of trying to figure out how I can convert my pigeon loft into a chicken coop and part of that is deciding how to build my roost. In the interest of conserving floor space, I had thought of building a ladder roost, with the top rail being 18" from the roof and then every 18" down the ladder. Considering the fact that my hens are Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, and Barred Rock, what would be the steepest angle I could use and still allow them to access the roost? What I am trying to do is to keep the foot of the roost as close to the wall as I can and still have a roost they can use, thus freeing up floor space. The dimensions of the coop are 9' long x 6' deep x about 6.5' tall at the back wall.

2. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Mine is 3ft off the wall and has 3 rows of roosts. I cut the ends on a 45 and put hinges on the bottom so I can tilt it away from the wall to clean.

3. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    My ladder is 4' wide and the ends are cut at 45 degrees. With the roosts 18" apart, they are really, really close to pooping on each other. If you go any steeper than 45 degrees I would space them further apart than 18"s. I have big old english orps.

4. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Thanks for the advice. Since I asked this question, I have determined that my original idea will not work. If I come out from the wall at a 45°, the end of the roost will land about 6" past the end of the floor. I am now thinking about stopping the roost about 4 feet from the wall and resting the end on landscape timbers that will be about 4 feet high. Otherwise, I won't even be able to get in the door of the coop because of the roost. I just hope the hens can get up 4 feet to the end of the roost so they can hop the rest of the way up.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Um, since you have orps, you could cause leg injuries with a roost 4' high; they are heavy birds and need space to flap their way down from something 4' high. All mine "fly" off the roost half sideways, landing 6' to 8' from the roost. Will your coop accommodate that?

6. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:No it will not. The coop dimensions are 9' x 6'. It is a converted pigeon loft.

7. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    I think what I am going to do is go with my second idea and provide a ladder or ramp at the side for easier access and hopefully, they will also use it to come down from the roost.

8. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    My roosts are 36" of the ground and they are fine for my RIR's, BR, and Welsummers. I have 4 8 ft 2x4 for my 35 Hens. I would not recommend a roost much higher for large birds. I have had a Roo jump off the roost and landed wrong and broke his leg. Luckily I saw him do it and I put a splint on his leg. He healed in a week or so. Just remember what can happen.

On my ladder for my Roosts I used 2x2's and 1x2's the ladder is 4ft long and the steps are 1ft apart.

This is an old picture but it shows how I made it.
    [​IMG]

Nate

9. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:Thanks, Nate. That gives me more food for thought.

10. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    Can they get up tp an approx 30" roost without a ladder? Ameracunas, wynadottes, light brahmas. Only 3 days old right one, planning for the future!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by