ladder to roost-specifications?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PetChickenBoo, Aug 13, 2010.

1. PetChickenBoo

PetChickenBoo In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I need a ladder so my chicks can get to their roost when they're ready. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old and have been out in the coop now for two days. How far apart should the rungs be and at what angle? I want it to be easy for them to get up there. Their roost is about 2 ft from the floor-maybe a little less than that.

Thanks in advance for any help:)

2. True Grit

True Grit Songster

Mine just flew up onto the roost at 5-6 weeks.

3. PetChickenBoo

PetChickenBoo In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I just went outside to check on them and sure enough one of them was up on the roost, flew down to see me and then flew back to the roost. But will they still be able to fly up there when they're full grown?

4. lleighmay

lleighmay Songster

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Absolutely. They'll fly even better when they're full grown. I used an old swingset ladder when the girls were young- they quickly quit using it and got up there by themselves with no problem. Right now in my grow-out pen I'm using an old rickety metal step ladder for a roost where the young ones fight to see who gets to be on the top rung.

5. Ellagrace

Ellagrace Hatching

Jun 11, 2010
    This chick is 2 1/2 weeks old. She hopped up on the feeder [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. True Grit

True Grit Songster

Aww, cute chickie [​IMG]

7. midd2005

midd2005 Chirping

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    3 of my 8 chickens (2.5 weeks old) roost on a 2 inch wide roost that is about 10 inches off the ground. they fly right up. the rest of mine prefer a little 6 inch wide shelf that is about 4 inches off the ground. it's an easy hop.

i think most breeds of chickens should be able to handle flapping/hopping up 2 feet to get to their roost so you probably don't need a ladder at all. if you really do want to help them, a decent sized rock or cinder block will probably also do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: