1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. floppyeardog

floppyeardog New Egg

Oct 19, 2011
    So I did a lot or reading before I got the girls, and more before I built their outside run (they were living in a large horse stall) NEVER did I read anything about ramp orientation! As it turns out, my girls simply will NOT use a ramp against the side of the building. It was much better for me, but not them. I turned the ramp 90 degrees so it was going out into the run and magic!!!! Am I the only one, or is this some sort of "universally known" chicken info? LOL

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

It is like anything else they are babies and need to be shown. I had to go into the coop sit down and show the girls where they were going. In the day there is light and at night they see poorly and the box is no light and they see bad. So we practiced during the day. I can lean into the brooder box and held up spaghetti and they ran up the ramp a few times and then that was it.

[​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

It is like anything else they are babies and need to be shown. I had to go into the coop sit down and show the girls where they were going. In the day there is light and at night they see poorly and the box is no light and they see bad. So we practiced during the day. I can lean into the brooder box and held up spaghetti and they ran up the ramp a few times and then that was it.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Not universally known by me for sure, but what do I know. This is my ladder/ramp in my grow-out pen. It is out into the run a bit.

[​IMG]

5. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    In about 75-80% of the time... ladders and ramps are un-needed... Chickens have those amazing things called feathers and wings... which allow for flight.

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    but they love ramps! My young girls seem to love running up and down it...in and out of the coop and hanging out "observing" their surroundings from the ramp!

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    A gate can be a labyrinth to a chicken so unless they've seen how it works, an indirect entry is a puzzle and not all of them can solve it. [​IMG] So, yeah, straight-on might not be the most efficient use of space but it's easy for them to understand. If you don't have room for a ramp, you can go with a landing platform so they can hop up easily.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The chickens I bought from a breeder had no idea how to overcome any obstacle. Didn't know how to roost. Didn't know what the ground was, and had no idea how to navigate a ramp. At 16 weeks of age this particular trio would 'perch' on a 'roost' 6 inches off the ground despite having all kinds of handicap facilities for the mentally challenged.

The chicks I raised, however, were introduced to multiple obstacles at 1 week of age, and now have no problem navigating ramps and ladders. They actually taught the older trio how to get things done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watching these little gals learn how to use their noggin was very educational for me!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by