Ladies & Gentlemen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hudsonhousechicks, Sep 5, 2010.

1. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    It's time to walk out of the river of denial and onto the shores of hard reality. I am afraid that my Wyandotte "she" may be a "he". She is 17 weeks and the photo is very current, taken today. Here's wee Tiny:
    [​IMG]

Then this is my 19 week old BO, Dorothy. I thought she could be a hen but her wattles and comb are much more red than her sisters and they are the same age. Here's Dorothy. Hen or roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for comparison, Hazel, who I am reasonably certain is a hen:

[​IMG]

Last but not least are the Sussex. They look very similar. They are 18 weeks old. The first photo is Lupe:

[​IMG]

The following is Lucy:

[​IMG]

We had a feral rooster visit our property yesterday and crow. For the first time EVER I heard one of my flock attempt to crow. It seemed to be in response to our roo visitor. I haven't heard a word from my girls since then. Would a hen respond with a "crow". It was very amateurish, not at all confident like the unmistakable feral roo.

Thanks ahead of time. I hope my photos don't come out gigantic. If they do I will repost with smaller pics.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha!, they all look like pullets to me, but that first one is a question mark. I would say that big buff you are questioning could begin to lay soon. Just my 2 cents.......Pop

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    All girls. The first is a bit of a question, but I don't see any rooster feathers on the neck and by 17 weeks it should be obvious. A full body picture of the first would clear up any questions.

Matt

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Agreed.

5. hudsonhousechicks

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    You guys are ROCKING MY WORLD with all the thumbs up on pullets!
    Here's a full body image of Tiny the Terrible:

[​IMG]

She's not terrible though.

But what about the "crow"? Were they just saying hi to the feral roo visitor? I have no idea which of my girls was making that terrible squawk.

6. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    Look like all girls to me, too. As for the red comb and wattles, that is an indication of a pullet that's getting close to providing you with eggs. Pullets come to maturity at different rates, even if they're from the same hatch - you should see Dorothy's sisters coming along soon.

7. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Agreed.

I saw the full body picture, but I can not enlarge it to look at the saddle feathers . . ..
    So, I too say all girls. Lucy is for sure girl. A full body shot of the other speckled sussex would be good too. I just had one of my she speckled sussex turn out to be a roo - - - so, I am real good at identifying them now. [​IMG]

8. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I am going to say pullet on all but the first one I would watch. I am on the fence on that one.

I so hope that you do get all pullets!!! Someone needs to!!!!

9. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    all girls

10. hudsonhousechicks

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by