Ladies or Gentlemen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stevie Chicks, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Stevie Chicks

Stevie Chicks New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone would like to hazard a guess at what gender my chooks are. They are Leghorn/Isa Brown and we were told they "should" be hens, but one has started to sound like he is crowing in the morning. They are similar looking but I don't have much experience with chickens. They are about 19 weeks old. Really hope they are hens as my kids have become attached and we will have to get rid of them as roosters are not allowed in our town.[​IMG]

TIA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Those are both red sex link cockerels. And it's impossible for them to be missexed so whoever sold them to you knew they were boys.

3. Stevie Chicks

Stevie Chicks New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Ah bugger, that's a shame. The guy did say he would refund for roosters but it is not the money I was worried about. Thanks for the response pyxis, at least I know that they need to go somewhere else now.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pyxis is totally right - I think you should welcome the money refunded, who knows what he would have given you as replacements. Maybe you should mention first, what your buddies on BYC had to say. As in BYC with over 400,000 members around the globe.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yep, those are red sex link cockerels.

Hens will be kind of reverse colored, red/gold with white collar and tail.

6. Stevie Chicks

Stevie Chicks New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Thanks guys, wish I had found this forum earlier, I could have sorted this out earlier. I will definitely be mentioning this information to the seller.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

8. Stevie Chicks

Stevie Chicks New Egg

Sep 20, 2016
    Well, they have been re-homed in the next town over as pets, which is great news (especially for our neighbors). The breeder was very apologetic and I get the impression he is not very experienced either.

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    It sounds to me like they are cross breeds or second generation red sex links (stated in OP as leghorn/ISA brown cross) which means that the colour is no longer linked to sex, so the breeder may not have intentionally misrepresented them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by