Ladies or Gentlemen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlueCamas, Nov 18, 2011.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I have a pair of Orpingtons that are between 5 to 6 weeks old and I don't know what they are yet.
    The Splash: It is feathering a lot slower compared to the blue and has always made a really loud chirp, scratch that it never chirps, it shrieks! It has gone from a seagulls voice to a hawks and I think it's a boy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Blue: It is bigger than the splash and feathered out way faster and is almost done. I'm hoping it's a girl. No loud weird sounds from this one yet [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pictures are from about a week ago,
    so what do you guys think? [​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    im kinda leaning towards roo for the first one...looks like wattles are already starting to come in...then again, the second bird also has a hint of wattles, though maybe less so. Do you have a more recent pic?

3. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm going to say the splash is a roo and the blue is a pullet but I could be wrong. I dont know much about telling gender with any breed when they are that young

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I bet the splash is a roo and the blue is a pullet. You cannot use leg thickness as an indicator, both cockerels and pullets will have thick legs. Orps can be tricky, but by 8 weeks you should know for sure.

My slowest feathering Orpington I thought was a male for a long time. She turned into a beautiful pullet.

5. Poppy17

Poppy17 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Bellevue Idaho
    I'm not sure, i think they are both girls. I have a little young cochin girl that dose the same thing as your splash. She has the voice of a hawk so we named her Hawk.[​IMG]

6. Ersula

Ersula Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Maine
    I think they're both girls [​IMG]

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I really hope so, it got 5 chicks at the swap and it looks like my 3 d'uccles are girls If these 2 are girls then I'm really lucky!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by