Ladies or gentlemen?

fionaryan

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 5, 2012
I am raising 4 chicks that were hatched in April, 8 months ago. The bantam and the Maran have been laying for the past 2 months. The other two, a Sicilian buttercup and a welsummer haven't laid anything yet and still look like hens, no cockadoodling or anything, so idont think they are roosters. Do these breeds normally take a long time to start laying, or to crow if they are in fact roosters?
Thanks!

I am raising 4 chicks that were hatched in April, 8 months ago. The bantam and the Maran have been laying for the past 2 months. The other two, a Sicilian buttercup and a welsummer haven't laid anything yet and still look like hens, no cockadoodling or anything, so idont think they are roosters. Do these breeds normally take a long time to start laying, or to crow if they are in fact roosters?
Thanks!
I think it really just depends on the bird. I had a hen that didn't start laying until she was 10 months. If you posted a picture of them i'm sure someone would be able to tell if they're roosters or hen. They sound like hens though.

My Wellies hatched On April 25th and one started to lay Oct 12th the other Oct 20th. I don't know about your Buttercup.

both breeds the roos and pullets look totally different you can google them and see.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I just asked someone locally and theirs didn't lay til January/February. And these are clearly ladies or they'd be crowing by now he said.

Back
Top Bottom