Ladies or gents and breeds please!

HMSChickens

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
Northeast PA
NEW PICS ADDED FROM TODAY

I'm a first-time chicken owner (aside from a bantam roo we've had as a pet here on the farm for years!) Was wondering what breeds I have in this mix, and whether the white one especially is a rooster and not a pullet. They are approx 14 wks old. TY!

What breed is this pullet in the front?? Henny is her name :)

Advice from yesterday was Peaches on right is red sexlink, next to her Scarlet is RIR, behind her is Penny, production red, and White Rock in the back is Daisy...

Having trouble uploading pics for some reason today... Daisy (Duke!??) is in the back on this one - see how much more pronounced her wattle & comb are becoming? Will keep trying to upload her beauty shot for opinions.

Last edited:
White with red - red sexlink light red- production red dark red- rir black might be a jersey giant white looks like a white rock and has alot of red in its comb and wattles for 3 1/2 months old could you get a side shot of it

welcome-byc.gif
Honestly, they all look like pullets to me.

From the top pic:
The one on the far left looks like some kind of red sexlink. The one above her, has me stumped. The white one is probably a white rock. The deep red is some kind of production red, or Rhode Island Red. The last one looks like a black sexlink.

If your goal is eggs, you have some good egg layers there!

Yep, goal is definitely eggs - can't wait! My concern about the white is that her comb & wattle are quite a bit larger than the others - wasn't sure if that was just a breed thing or if it was a sign of a rooster :) Will try to get a better shot of her today and post... Thanks!

The white rock may be an early layer, I didn't see any saddle feathers either but you would need to part the feathers at the base of the tail to look for pointy ones coming in. Check neck feathers to be thin and pointy.

As far as the bird you asked about in the last pic in your first post.... Partridge Rock! I have 2 of them and they are lovely ladies. Other possibility would be welsummer but they have a leaner body and i think they have pink legs?

Time for an update! I'm pretty sure that I was correct about Daisy - she's actually Duke! Neck feathers have now come in rather pointy - still haven't really identified saddle feathers, but it's hard for me to distinguish since they are all the same color. It was much easier on our bantam roo since he had such variation in color (sadly lost him to a predator attack recently...) The hens should be 19 weeks now, so I'm anxiously awaiting some eggs!!!

Time for an update! I'm pretty sure that I was correct about Daisy - she's actually Duke! Neck feathers have now come in rather pointy - still haven't really identified saddle feathers, but it's hard for me to distinguish since they are all the same color. It was much easier on our bantam roo since he had such variation in color (sadly lost him to a predator attack recently...) The hens should be 19 weeks now, so I'm anxiously awaiting some eggs!!!

Hah! Daisy pulled a fast one on you for sure. Definitely Duke now. He'll be handsome.

Back
Top Bottom