Ladies! What Are You Doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Yogiman, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    I need someone to humor my ignorance with this.

I have 11 buff orp pullets that started laying in the early fall. Just as others on this forum have made mention, they laid where ever the notion hit them. All over the place.
    Suddenly one day they all took to the four nest boxes and fixed that problem themselves.

What I have been observing is that there will be a pullet in each nest box. They cluck, scratch around, pull straw, then settle down in the box as if to lay. They sit there for a while, mabey 30 min., then casually get up and go about their business. WITHOUT LAYING A DARN EGG! Then later one by one they come back and lay. What are they doing when they do this, practicing? [​IMG] Never in all my years have I seen hens do this. Has anyone else out there observed this behavior?

I did have a bo roo (show quality) two years ago that hurrican Rita got, to do something strange. He would go on the nest everyday, pull straw, cluck and fuss like a hen, then sit on the nest for an extended period of time and get off the nest. This was a daily ritual. I finally concluded that he was either a sissy, had a harmon imbalance, or had overdosed on laying pellets. I'm not sure what I would have thought or done had he gotten off the nest and there was an egg there!

I am starting to think that I am running a funny farm around here.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine do that too - they're faking you out! [​IMG]

I'll hang around in the freezing cold waiting while madam sits and fluffs around in the nest - and TADAAAA nothing!

I gave up waiting a while ago - now I just go check and leave! (its hard to leave when there is someone sitting in a nest)

3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I'll hang around in the freezing cold waiting while madam sits and fluffs around in the nest - and TADAAAA nothing!
    I gave up waiting a while ago - now I just go check and leave! (its hard to leave when there is someone sitting in a nest)

I froze one day trying to catch the one that was laying. They drive me crazy with the on again off again, honey you are not alone! All my white egg layers are laying brown eggs now I will never know who is laying what eggs, if they keep this up. [​IMG]

Oh, I drilled a hole (Plug) in the door to peek I keep checking it so I don't disturb them. then I plug it up again.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have some EEers that do that. They will sit on the nest for 3 hours and nothing. Then all the sudden there's an egg there. Crazy girls. It's not like they've got a good magazine in there or anything. [​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know about chickens yet but my Runner is very sneaky. She'll sit in some straw in the front yard and really look like she's concentrating really hard. I'll walk out the door and she'll hiss and swing her head at me as if I were threatening her nest or something. Then I go back in the house, hide behind the curtains and watch as she gets up and goes to where her nest REALLY is. She'll look back at the house toward the front door to see if I'm looking, and if I am peeking out that window she'll sit back on the straw. If I'm not looking out that window she goes to her nest. She hasn't figured out the front window yet! But I think she has the other ducks watching me,,,,, she'll figure it out soon!
    K

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  8. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    And why do men sit on the throne for h o u r s?

At least she left you a gift after she taught you how to wait nicely [​IMG] don't rush perfection dear!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those Ladies are trying to do it right, don't be in such a hurry!

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:We will never know the answer - and that would need a WHOLE new thread! [​IMG]

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing and I know the answer.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by