Lady Amherst chick info/ advice. I see folks looking, please comment

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by wbruder17, Jul 4, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I just picked up 3 Lady Amherst pheasant chicks (7-10 days old) and 2 California Quail (teeny tiny, a couple days old).

I have raised numerous chicken chicks, ducks, and quail.

The LA pheasant chicks seem very lethargic. One is a bit more active and is walking around and whatnot. One has been laying there either with its eyes open or sleeping, but has gotten up and moved around, and the third does not really even want to stand up.

The quail are pretty active, peeping and walking around.

I have dipped their beaks in the water to show them what it is, but other than walking through it, have not seen them drink. Have not seen them eat, and only the quail are sleeping in the food dish.

I have 2 red golden pheasants, but got them when they were already juveniles, so I just don't know if this is normal for pheasant chicks or if I need to do something else. I am going to cook up some scrambled eggs now as well. They have done wonders for my previous chicks.

They have a heat lamp as well.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I don't know why nobody will comment. I am concerned about these chicks and would really appreciate some expert advice. I wouldn't ask if it wasn't necessary for the chick's well being. I suppose I will just wait and hope I've done everything I know to do to help them survive.

3. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    I'm very new too pheasants so I'm not sure what you should do. I sure hope the poor little things are going to be okay though. [​IMG] Good luck and I hope one of the pheasant breeders/keepers that read this will know what you should do. [​IMG]

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What is the temp in your brooder?It should be at 95 degress the 1st week and then drop it 5 degress per week until feathered and ready for no heat.Is the brooder free from drafts?Do you add vitamins and electrolytes to their water supply once a week?
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    i dont know where all the experts are....no ones been answering all week......i am no expert...but have raised many different birds ...once inawhile you get some that for no reason dont do good..even our best cant help them out. i ususally put watermelon in quail & pheasant pens..sprinkle feed on top for babies....alot of the time i see raisers / seller of pheasants brooder boxs floors are all feed, not in dishes..they just might not know that is their feed ???? just quessing. vitimin water is a huge benifit, or even sugar water if unavaiable. hope yours are doing ok.

6. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yes, they were much better the second day. Maybe they were just a bit shocked about being moved around. They really liked the scrambled eggs as well (of course).

They are currently eating, drinking, pooping and trying to fly out of the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by