Lady Amherst Color Morphs

tonini3059

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Southwestern PA
This has been on my mind for the last couple of days so I figured I would ask the general population on this site if they know anything about it. Does anyone know if there are different color morphs of Lady Amherst, similar to those found in the golden? I could not find anything online and I was not sure if anyone had any idea why this might be. Are the Amherst genes not as plastic as those of the red golden or have they not been bred enough or long enough for those odd colors to pop up? I find the latter hard to believe but then again I do not know how long the red golden was raised in captivity before the yellow gene emerged. Just trying to satisfy my curiosity, thanks to all who respond in advance.

I Beleive (may Be Wrong Here...) That The Yellow Gene Was A Man-made Color Through Selective Breeding. I Dont Know Other Color Morphs That Occur Naturally But There Are A Few Out There That Either Dont Keep Speces Seperate, Or Play Mad Scientist With Breeding That May End Up Producing Different Color Options. Tho Many Purists Cringe At The Very Idea Or Behavior........ To Each His Own I Guess. Tony Or Someone With More Extensive Background On The Breed Will Chime In Soon...

Not as far as I know. You have a color standard much as they do with chicken breeds. There a lot of those out there that as was mentioned before play mad scientist, and there are those that aren't careful and regulary crossbreed them with goldens. You can have all sorts of color combos then. Most purists frown upon it. I'd have to admit, I did it a couple times to produce birds for fly tieing, but then decided against it. Its a great way to lose a breed.

kikescove.com :

produce birds for fly tieing, but then decided against it. ....

WOW NOW THAT IS A DANGEROUS IDEA (TO ME ANYWAY)--- GLAD THAT 1 DIDNT POP INTO MY HEAD WE'D HAVE HUNTERS ORANGE AND HOT PINK POLKA DOTTED PHEASANTS TEARING AROUND....

SERIOUSLY THO WHAT DID YOU END UP WITH AS FAR AS COLORS AND BARRING AND WHATNOT?

SAY THAT REMIDS ME... I HAVE A BUFF TEENAGER THATS STARTING TO MOLT--- I'LL HAVE TO SEE IF HE'S GETTIN RID OF ANYTHING USEFUL.​

Quote:
Here are some Dilute Lady Amherst:

LAdilutemale.jpg

LAmaleDilute.jpg

LADilutehen.jpg

Randy www.spectrumranch.net

I know the yellow golden gene emerged after the red golden had been bred in captivity but I am unsure of how long it took. I was not sure if it emerged at random at its current coloration or it was cultivated through selective breeding as well. So then why has the same not happened in the Amherst. I know they are similar and certainly they had to have been raised in sufficient quantities, maybe not as much as the red golden, for a different color phase to emerge. I however think that somewhere someone had to have an interesting color emerge. The diluted are interesting and may possibly prove to lead to a different color morph through careful breeding. After all that is how all but the natural colors of the birds emerged.

Last edited:
I think the amherst has been crossed with the goldens over the years.It is very hard to find a pure amherst,not saying there are none out there,but hard to find.There are no morphs in any breed as far as I know.
The yellow golden is a man made bird,produced by professor Ghigi.Therefore giving it the true name ghigi yellow golden.
In N.H.,Tony.

Think the reason is the golden has been breed longer and in higher numbers. Mutation when they do happen, unless someone locks that mutation in they are lost.

Like I breed peafowl. the greens, have not been breed in the numbers as the indiablues. No Mutation of colors or patterns have been found in the greens. Same time we have 10 colors and 5 patterns all found in the indiablue peafowls.

Ringneck pheasant are breed in much greater numbers than any other pheasant, an many mutation have been found.

So sure with time and larger number of birds being bred, more mutation of the Lady Amherst.

Back
Top Bottom