1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Lady Amherst got out

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by frenchblackcopper, May 24, 2010.

1. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    As cautious as I am,once in awhile I do mess up.Last eve around midnight I went out and did chores.I had some quail that I finally put in their pen outside,and between pens there is a wire door,so two pens can be made into 1 large one.Lady Amherst quad on one side,,and the quails was put in the other. I had opened the Lady Amherst main door,to try and get the wire door closed between pens,,and in doing so,forgot to shut and latch the main cage door for the Amhersts.
    Tonight when my daughter got home from school,she seen one hen in the back yard,one hen was still in the pen,,but the male and one hen have not been seen. As hot as it is,,tomorrow they will need a drink.I always feed them about 1/2 hour before dark.We have a 2 acre homestead,,with a lot of dogwood bushes that are so thick you cannot walk under them around part of our yard border.We have some places of tall grass,and several runs for the 150 marans we have.
    I was able to catch one hen rather easily,,the entire bunch was hand fed as chicks and were always very calm when I fed and watered them each day. I could touch all of them but the male.They had a roost in their pen and in the evening always could be found sitting in a tight row.So tonight I went looking,all around the chicken runs,bushes,and tall grass areas,,and of course no luck.It's a good thing the corn is not tall,or I would never find them.
    So,any ideas on how to lure them back? I have had all of them since January,,,and they have always been in the same pen.I have other ornamental pheasants in pens around close to where the Amhersts was,Red Goldens and Yellow Goldens and those males are quite loud about late afternoon,and at times it sounded like a contest was going on between all 3 diffrent varieties,,even tho none could directly see the others.
    Since the two that are loose are experiencing freedom for the first time,,and with the spring season here now,there is plenty of bugs and other things for these two to eat,,but no direct access to any water unless they fly into a pen where some of the marans are with outside waterers.Whats the chances of them coming back around their old pen and wating in for a drink? Ideas? Thoughts? thanks

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Just wondering if they have come back ?

3. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    One hen came up today close to the pen,so I put a bucket of cold water out and some feed for her,,seen her again walking out towards the old corn crib,,and found 1 egg in some tall grass,,she don;t run or act too flighty until I get really close to her,,I'd rather lcoate her at night and put her back in the pen,but I have not seen the male at all,,nowhere.

4. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

The species is monogamous in nature. The male will locate what it determines is the most appropriate nesting location for his favorite female and stay close to that spot, acting as sentinel. He will be very difficult to locate and only move during the hours just before dark and just before light. I would keep clean water out for the birds and let them nest.
    Place a male of a similar species in their old enclosure and this will stimulate the male to call more often as this is his territory. But not to worry, something similar happened to me about fifteen years ago and we've had a small colony of free ranging amherst ever since.

5. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Well last night I was able to get one hen caught and back in her pen,but the male and one hen are still gone and I have not heard or seen them since they got out.They have got to be very thirsty,and there is little if no standing water around here for them to drink.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Songster

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I hope that they come back. If he has "his girl" with him he may not want to come back as easily though. I really hope they want to come back for water or food and you can get them safe.

7. Best of luck... that is so terrible... I have a click in the back of my head every time i open the pen gates... I wont take a foot until I hear the click of the gate lock behind me... I too have had that fear of them getting out...

My wishes are with you.

8. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Still no sign of them,,the two hens that I did retrieve must have not followed or got out the same time the roo and 1 hen did,,so they did not follow him,,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by