Lady Amherst Male Colors

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by BEEMAN0852, Aug 8, 2011.

1. BEEMAN0852

BEEMAN0852 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    [​IMG] I have been reading all the internet information and looking at all t he listed pictures of Lady Amherst males. All the information tells the colors of the Amherst males but do not list any yellow feather patches on the lower back. Most of the pictures show the white cap, green center back and chest, and blue lower back with white stomach. But some pictures listed as Amherst male show a large patch of yellow feathers below the blue feathers on the lower back. Is the pure Amherst male supposed to have the yellow feather patch or does this show that it has been crossed with other pheasants? All the discriptions do not list the yellow feathers. I would appreciate any information that is out there on the correct coloration of the Amherst male. I am also looking for pure Amherst pairs if anyone has some that can be shipped at a reasonable price.

2. Rocket Up

Rocket Up Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Nebraska
    Yes, pure L. Amherst's do have yellow on their back. The descriptions in Pheasants of the World by Delacour and Beebe's Monograph of the pheasants tell of it. I am curious what descriptions you were looking at? I have a few this year from an 8 yr old pair of Roman Acre's birds. (siblings). Way to hot for me to think of parting with any yet. Pickups are welcome lol [​IMG]

good luck

3. BEEMAN0852

Mar 8, 2011
    Rocket Up
    Thanks for the information and I will try to read the book you referred to concerning the yellow color. I read everything I could find on the internet concerning the coloring of the Amherst males and found nothing on the yellow feathers that I could find. My book Introduction to Ornamental Pheasants does not mention it either. I was wondering if you are considering selling your Amherst pairs for shipping later this fall. The pictures of your Amherst males on you website are very nice. If you would consider selling some later this fall can you advise the price per pair and approximate shipping time? I found that the shipping per pair on your website was $50.00 pair plus @ 7.00 for box. Is this correct? I would appreciate hearing from you about possibly purchasing a pair this fall. I am trying to obtain some good stock to begin raising Amherst pheasants again. It is nice to have people who are willing to offer help to persons like me who wish to raise pure pheasants. Thanks again. A.J.

4. adriano

adriano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    [img][URL='https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/40112_kookaburra_2011_aug_9th_093.jpg<br><br>This']https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/40112_kookaburra_2011_aug_9th_093.jpg

This[/URL] is a pic of My Lady Amherst today.

5. BEEMAN0852

Mar 8, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Nice Amherst male. How old is the bird?

6. Rocket Up

Rocket Up Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Nebraska
    last year shipping for a single stall horizon box with a young pair ran about 50-55 dollars, and the boxes cost me $7 each. I don't think shipping will be much if any different this year. I am going to try to get $30 per bird rather than $25 (what I charged last year) because feed is just sooo high. I like to ship when it is in the mid 70s at the highest (on both ends for all days while the birds are in transit). Maybe mid to late September, I don't know... If you don't find a nice pair closer by then (I am in west nebraska almost wyoming), let me know. If nothing else I can at least help you find some.

I also have a male with a crooked toe from last years hatch that is coloring out nicely that I would like to give to any young person (16 or younger) if they promise to take care of it and pick it up or pay for shipping and box

I havent read Keith Howman's Introduction to Ornamental Pheasants. I would suggest William Beebe's Monograph of the Pheasants, Jean Delacour's Pheasants of the World, and Paul Johnsgards Pheasants of the World. I have a hard time trusting most things on the internet, but www.gbwf.org, and www.aviangenetics.com are both good sites for GOOD information.

http://www.aviangenetics.com/Pheasant_Ridge/species_fact_sheets.html

You might also join a club or group such as the American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society to find breeders in your area. There are a few screw balls in that club, but most I have dealt with are awesome.

7. adriano

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    Quote:He is 2 years 2 months old.

8. pktuan

pktuan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    re-post your pic. he look handsome!
    [​IMG]

9. adriano