Lady Amherst Ornamental Pheasant Feeds

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by BEEMAN0852, Sep 11, 2011.

1. BEEMAN0852

BEEMAN0852 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    :/Can any members suggest what is the best feed to feed juvenile Lady Amherst pheasants that are between 4 to 6 months old? Also if the Lousiana members can advise where is the best place to purchase ornamental pheasant feed around the area of Franklin, Louisiana? I use to purchase it in Abbeville, LA but the store has closed/moved and I am unable to get it there now. I have been buying gamebird feed for the store in New Iberia, LA but the feed from Abbeville, LA was a better quality feed. I would appreciate any Louisiana member who can give me a lead on good Ornamental pheasant feed in my area.[​IMG]

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I would probably just feed an additive free scratch grain. Check local co-ops and farm stores.

3. BEEMAN0852

Mar 8, 2011
    Thanks rittert3

I was considering getting some hen scratch to supplement their diet anyway. The feed store near me has a pretty good brand of hen scratch. I raised ornamental pheasants years ago and fed them pheasant crumbs nd pellets along with hen scratch. I added treats once in a while like fruit, and olther things.

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Just curious. What kinds of treats do you give them (and specifically what fruits)?

5. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I know commercial pheasant crumbles are harder to come by, I know a guy that uses expired food from the local hyvee but dosn't have great luck.

6. BEEMAN0852

Mar 8, 2011
    Hello greymane

I just give them treats once in a while. I use chopped up apples and pears with a little greens or grass to vary their diet. I use to give my pheasants some meal worms to help with protene. I have not given my juvenile Amherst any as of yet because I need to get some ordered. I am just starting to raise Amherst again after three years and am looking forward to breeding them. I have some pairs ordered that will come in late September or early October. I am always looking for new bloodlines if anyone has pairs for sale at this time.

7. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'd suggest using gamebird crumbles or turkey. Pheasants need higher protein, scratch is not a good idea. Look for at least 20% protein in your feed.

**meant turkey crumbles. Supplementing fruits, veggies and meal worms are a good way to provide treats.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  8. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    The turkey starter I used to feed my quail was 28%, if you could find something that high you could probably get away with adding in a little scratch. You would probably need to look into ration balancing though to make sure you are still giving them at least 20%. I would tell you how to figure it but, I can ever remember exactly how and it hurts my head, lol.

ETA: I like finding GB/T starter no matter what I'm raising even the chickens (especially the white giants I had) seem to do better on it. They grow a little quicker, more solid, alert, and healthy looking.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  9. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:X 2

Sometimes the feed stores can get gamebird feed for you even if they don't keep it in stock.

10. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    At 4-6 months old,they should be ready for pellet feed.Gamebird and turkey grower/maintenance is what I feed mine.In the colder winter months add cracked or whole corn.every once in a while give them treats like fruit,veggies,wild bird seed,grass clippings,insects etc.They need to be wormed 2 times a year,at the end of the laying season and again in Feb,just before their laying season.Worming requires 2 treatments 30 days apart.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by