1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lady Cluck Cluck from Healdsburg, CA,

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ladycluckcluck, Aug 13, 2013.

1. ladycluckcluck

ladycluckcluck New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    I am first time chicken owner. I have 5 chickens: 2 Buff Orpingtons & 3 Ameraucanas.I have 2 Labs...one particularly interested in her new feathered friends! Hopefully there will be no accidents. It's been 4 months & so far so good.My latest dilemma is the chicks have decided to roost on top of the coop instead of inside. So, nightly, I have to put them, one by one, into the coup!! Hopefully, they will learn to put themselves to bed. For the most part, I have been enjoying learning & caring for the chicks.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I learned the hard way with my dog killing my chickens, just make sure they are never left unsupervised together. If you keep your chickens locked up in the coop/run for a week or so, they should learn that inside the coop is the place to roost at night. Good luck to you!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]I f you cover their run they will forget about nesting in trees - they are perfect targets for a variety of predators including owls.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You might try luring them into the coop with treats an hour or so before roosting time, then closing them in for the night - once they learn to go to the roost in the coop they should continue to do so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by