Lady the Rooster Bawk-a-bawks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Velvet Hairpiece, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Velvet Hairpiece

Velvet Hairpiece Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    So I was supposed to have 8 pullets, so naturally two of them turned out to be cockerals, Lady and Henri.

I found out Henri was no longer Henrietta pretty early on, and accepted it. He was the first one to attempt to crow, and did it three times that I knew of. Lady I found out several weeks later when he started to crow as well. As punishment, he didn't get a name change! [​IMG]

Now Henri never crows, and Lady crows all the time! He is definitely the alpha roo and I think Henri accepts that, sometimes I even wonder if he really knows that he's such a handsome boy?

They're all 13ish weeks old now, and I just luff them! Tonight, when I went in to throw some more sand into their run, Lady came running out of the pop door before I could close it. He kept circling around me checking out what I was doing and started bawka-BAWKing! This was the first time we've heard that sound and just thought it was hilarious. After a couple of minutes, Henri started chiming in from inside the coop, answering Lady's call. How cute! I guess they are a team, protecting their girls from the evil sand monster. [​IMG]

I just wanted to share. I feel so proud.

I'm also really, really hoping that they continue to get along so well. Time will tell. I like them both-Henri is such an adorable BR who just looks like the rooster I always imagine in my head, and Lady is a very neat looking silver duckwing apparent EE who is a great guard for his girls, they're so different and I would hate to have to get rid of one of them, but will if they distress their 6 hens out too much when they start mating. [​IMG]:fl

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I'm in the same boat, 6 chicks that turned out to be 4 hens and two roos. I've been reading that the best way to tell a roo's personality is to wait until it's a year old, and also see how it does without any other roos around. There are some great pictures here of roos hanging out comfortably so there's hope for us - I hope!

3. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i hatched out some chicks last year and i think 5 out of 11 were boys, they were hatched and raised together and never once did i see them ever fight,,,, but they sure did double team some roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by