Laid 1 Egg and hasn't laid since

cesparolini

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Help!

My plymouth rock laid her first egg on Monday morning (very exciting!) and has not laid since and it is now Friday. She is behaving normally, eating etc. Should I be concerned?

The same thing happened to me! I was so worried...but apparently it is normal. My Rhode Island Red layed an egg on a Saturday, then nothing all week. Then I got an egg from a different hen the next Saturday, and finally got another brown egg from my RIR on Sunday. So it took 8 days for her to lay her 2nd egg. After that, she was laying one almost every day.
big_smile.png
I bet you'll be finding another egg real soon!

When they first get started, the laying can be very erratic. As long as she is eating, drinking and otherwise behaving normally, you have nothing to worry about.
welcome-byc.gif
from AK!

one of my white faced black spanish laid her first egg about a month and a half ago and not one since
roll.png
28 weeks old today, PR and SLW started at 17 weeks and havn't looked back.

Last edited:
We have 4 barred rocks, 20+ weeks old. Two of them lay regularly, a third lays now and then (every other day or so)...the 4th is still a freeloader, eating well and very much at the bottom of their hierarchy. She has to get out of *their* way, or else..pecking and get out of here!
sad.png
(It sucks to be "Mimi".....)

I would not worry to much about irregular laying at this point. They're still new at it and getting it down to a plan..
hmm.png
ya know?
wink.png

And if I remember correctly, the hens are on a 26-28 hour schedule, so there will be some missed days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom