Laid all roosters!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Reavou, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Reavou

Reavou New Egg

Nov 30, 2013
    Suttons Bay, MI
    So I got a Silkie hen from a friend that had 7 babies, well they are now about 4 mo. Old and all definitely Roosters! She laid 7 roosters!! These are my first chickens ever and I was totally hoping to get hens! Now my husband and I had a deal about the roosters (back when I figured there would be some hens) and he keeps telling me that the roosters will beat each other up blah blah blah. I don't know I need some advice on what to do because I have 7 roosters all together in the chicken coop!! Please help

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh gee, what luck. Males raised together do not necessarily fight, especially when there are no hens and they are a more laid back breed like the Silkie. That said you probably want to make some room in the coop for hens.

When I hatched Orpingtons and Cochins, all the roosters but one went to live in a bachelor coop and have lived together for years without hurting each other.

Silkie roosters may not be as difficult to rehome as other breeds. You could post them on your local Craig's list and see how many you could find a new home. You could also post on BYC section for rehoming, but you may need a minimum of ten posts on the forum before you can do that.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rehome them, or plan to make a bachelor pad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by