Laid egg with no shell?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Theicequeen, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    uh oh, what is going on? is there something wrong? something i can do? is she always going to lay with no shell?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi there!

Did she just start laying? It's just a little "hiccup" and nothing to worry about. Hopefully, you're feeding her a good layer feed, and some crushed oyster shells in a separate dish would be helpful too, for those nice, strong eggshells.

It does happen sometimes.

3. Theicequeen

Theicequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Pa
    some of them just started laying, and the ones that have been laying have only been doing so for maybe a month. I am feeding the Dumor layer feed, but i will have to get oyster shells, do you just get them at tractor supply? I am giving them Grit i dont know if they have oyster shells in it or not?

the other eggs have great shells, we gave some to a friend of my dads and he was laughing that he had to keep hitting the egg to get the shell to crack,lol, because they are so thick,lol

4. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    Don't worry about it. I wouldn't even get the oyster shell just yet. Every now and again, you just get a shell-less egg. It usually happens with pullets who just started laying. It's no big deal.

5. Chiabot

Chiabot New Egg

Aug 10, 2010
    Don't worry too much. Just make sure that she or any other hens don't try and eat the egg, otherwise you've got a serious problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by