laid eggs then stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bare bottom farm, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Bare bottom farm

Bare bottom farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    [​IMG] My russian orlofft frist egg was monday and she laid one egg everyday untill yesterday and today so she laid 3 days stirght and then no eggs for two. Is this normal ? Do I need to worry? Also all of my girls are laying but one it is ether my brabanter or sliver spangled spitz, they are 27 weeks old. Is that normal for these chicken breeds?
    Thank you for all your help![​IMG]

2. scoutingchick

scoutingchick New Egg

Dec 4, 2009
    I am having similar problems. My 5 bantams are7 months old. I got about 10 eggs out of them and then they stopped.!? What is up with that???

3. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    I really would love some input on this is worries me so bad! Thank you!

4. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Very Very normal...especially with this weather. I have 22 hens that were
    all laying and i am now only getting 7 to 11 eggs a day. My spring chickens
    started laying in 16 to 17 weeks and my late summer chickens didnt start
    laying until they were in their 26 to 30th week. Also, new hens can lay and egg
    or two and then nothing for awhile.

5. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    :)Thank you so much for your info! I was so worried. I don't want to over look anything that might be a sign of sickness. Thank you again!![​IMG]

6. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

While weather can surely effect their laying habits, skipping days is also consistent with a new layer. My first layer began in August (no weather issue!) and she would lay for 2-3 days, then skip a day or two, lay a day, then skip a day....eventually she became more regular. But now that all 15 girls are laying, I can never figure out who is taking the break! I average 8-10 eggs a day (and 14 yesterday!). But different breeds give different amount of eggs a week. Some average 5-6 eggs a week, but many (or most) lay fewer, like 3-4 eggs a week. I always have more than my family of 4 (with one away at college most of the time) can consume. My daycare parents all love the little extras they get to take home:)

7. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    [​IMG] My little russian orlofft laied a egg today after taking 4 days off!!!!!! I feel better now!! Thank you all so much for the info it just makes one feel better knowing someone else has had the same thing happen to them.... THANK YOU!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by