1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laid first egg and then no more!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annmarie, Nov 20, 2007.

1. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Hi! This is my first time asking a question in this forum. My barred rock laid her first egg last week and hasn't laid one since. Is that normal? A few times over the weekend I thought she might lay another, as she'd get really noisy (which isn't totally out of character for her) and nothing! We don't get a lot of daylight up here this time of year, so I could see that maybe that's the reason she's not laying, but it seemed odd to me that she'd lay one and that's it. Please let me know what you think!
    Thank you!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It is common for them to start laying irratically at first. I know several here have waited a couple weeks or more for that 2nd egg.

More patience... hard to come by!

3. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    This forum is incredible! Thank you! I will stop nagging poor Fatima-hen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by