1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laid Soft Egg and Trouble Expelling Egg Tonight....Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fasschicks, Dec 9, 2014.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    My hen, Elvis, laid a soft shelled/papery egg on the roost yesterday and tonight when my husband went to the coop, she was in the nesting box and had laid an egg in the nest box. It was an egg yolk and white completely out of the shell (yolk not broken) and the shell was papery and rolled up like a cigarette separate from the egg yolk/white. She seems like she is trying to expel something else (maybe the rest of the soft papery shell?). I stuck my finger in her and she pushed hard against it. I didn't feel any egg shell (soft or hard), but she keeps trying to bear down.

She seems to be okay perky-wise. Her wings are down further on her body (more towards her legs), but her tail and head are both up. After we inspected her, I put her on the ground to see how her body was presenting, and she jumped up on the roost. Still looks like she is trying to bear down.

Any ideas on what is going on? Should I treat it like she is egg bound? Maybe put her in a warm water bath to see if she relaxes. She usually doesn't like us holding her and puts up a fuss, but she didn't tonight.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wendy

ETA: Over the last week, her eggs have been getting quite a bit lighter in color and are larger and a little more misshapen than normal. I wasn't surprised with the papery egg yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Bump....

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The simplest thing to do would be to put on a rubber glove if you have it, and examine the vent about 1 inch inside with a finger to check for either an egg membrane, or a stuck egg. She sounds as though she could use some calcium, and maybe some fluids. If an egg is felt, and don't do this unless you do, you can place her in a warm shallow bath to soak for 30 minutes after giving a calcium tablet, tums, or some liquid calcium gluconate. Vitamin D is also important in egg laying, so make sure the feed is adequate. Make sure that she is drinking fluids, and offer her some. Are you hens on layer feed? Here are some links to read about
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
    http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/06/egg-bound-hens-how-to-recognize-treat.html

4. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thanks, Eggcessive for responding. I did the whole rubber glove thing and didn't feel anything. I feed the girls organic layer and also give oyster shells free choice. She is 1-1/2 years old and I have never had this issue with her before.

I just checked on her and she is still on the roost with the rest of the girls and she seems pretty settled in (but is alert). She doesn't appear to be pushing as much as she did earlier and I didn't see any pieces of shell on the floor.

It seems like this is sort of egg binding, but a weird way. My husband was very surprised to see a fully intact yolk with her standing in the nesting box.

Since it doesn't seem like there is anything left in her (that I could tell after examination), should I still try to get calcium gluconate or Vitamin D in her? Is this something I need to do tonight (don't have the supplies) or can it wait until tomorrow? I don't want to wait if this is life threatening overnight. She is a great layer and a cool bird (Jersey Giant/Silkie mix) - would hate to lose her.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since she laid the egg today, I think the calcium can wait till morning. If you have egg shells, crush them, since she can also eat those for her calcium. If she is on a good layer feed, she may be getting enough vitamin D. Some calcium supplements also contain vitamin D. I wouldn't worry about her too much, since this can be common. If she lays thin shelled or shell-less eggs often, she could possibly develop egg yolk peritonitis down the road, which can be common in older hens.

6. fasschicks

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thanks, Eggcessive. You guidance is very much appreciated. I will see what I can find for calcium supplements. I do have a bunch of crushed shells available and will mix that with her food in the morning so hopefully that helps her a bit more. I am feeding FF right now, so I was surprised she was having this issue. I have another girl who is going through a tough molt right now. Luckily this December hasn't been too overly cold in Wisconsin. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by