LAKE COUNTY, IL - Please help me find a legal town/etc

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by meganmccann, Jul 5, 2011.

1. meganmccann

meganmccann Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2011
    Hi All,
    I have wanted chickens for years, but live in a part of Atlanta that requires two acres of land to have them. I don't have two acres, hence, no chickens. But we are moving to Lake County IL soon, and I want to find a town or area that allows BYC. From what I can tell, I must have five acres to have chickens, but on my first trip up there, I saw horses everywhere, many on smaller lots than five acres. What gives?
    I have tried to find a post that already addresses my questions, but didn't see one, so I apologize if this is a repeated question for y'all.
    So, all you Lake County IL folks, what are my options in terms of towns/cities/rural areas?
    Thanks so much!
    My next step is calling every zoning board to ask the question. I have already ruled out a lot of towns through online research, but I am looking for some place, somewhere up there that allows the chickens!
    Thanks so much!
    Megan

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
  3. meganmccann

meganmccann Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you!

4. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Yes, the Illinois link will definitely help you. We Illinois people are trying to do a meet. We will definitely be meeting at the state fair on August 20th and also on that day, if you happen to be passing through, we are having a meet at my farm too. It's closer to where you are moving to. We are very near the Chicagoland Speedway of joliet, IL.
    If you are interseted, please PM (private message) me and I will send you my celll phone number so I can give you exact location and directions.
    I think, if you posted this exact querie on the Illinois thread as mentioned in the above post, you would get your answers.
    Denise
    Paradise Found.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Where I live in Michigan, you only need an acre to have a horse, but the zoning says 5 acres for livestock and poultry. This can be "trumped" by the Michigan Right to Farm Act in certain circumstances.

Weird, must have been "horse people" that wrote these laws. Or they date from a time when horses were still a common enough mode of transportation that they didn't want to take that right away easily.

6. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Welcome, fellow Lake County chicken keeper! The laws vary from town to town, I only know Mundeleins laws for sure. Within the city limits of Mundelein, you aren't allowed to have chickens. There isn't anything specifically barring them in unincorporated areas, though (my land in unincorporated).

7. IvoryLotus

IvoryLotus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Mundelein, IL
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  8. IvoryLotus

IvoryLotus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Mundelein, IL
    blast --- so FYI it's been tabled for now.

not a definite no - nor a definite yes. BTW fair warning, many of you will run into the rude and crazy opposition at your town meetings.
    Just remember "Haters gonna hate" and let it roll off.

Being respectful and honest with backed up facts will get you very far and even if people disagree with you, they can't deny you are good people. :)

9. Staceek

Staceek New Egg

May 16, 2014
    Mundelein, IL is partially unincorporated, and you are allowed to have 6 chickens on 10000sq feet of total lot.

Its a lovely place to live!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by