Lakenvelder colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickies-duckies-etc, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    How many different Lakenvelder colors are there?

I have some golden Lakenvelders and there seem to be two varieties of them. Some are bright golden color on the body with the black head and tail. Some are a darker gold with the black color sprinkled onto the body. There are roosters and hens in both of the colors.

These are from eggs I hatched.

2. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Hmmm. The only ones I have heard of are the Silver (which is the official recognized color) and the Golden.
    I think the Golden Lakenvelders are just beautiful. I have never seen them with any black mixed in the body. I have seen some who appear to have a darker, richer gold color than others. I was trying to get a Lakenvelder over the summer and didn't have any luck. They seem rare.

3. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    They are very pretty and friendly. The light gold roo (about 4 months old) is getting lighter on his body color. if the man I got the eggs from still has some, I may get some more. And I think there is someone close that has white ones. Would that be what they are calling silver?

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Golden lakenvelder are called vorwerk in europe.

They should be spotless.

Colors:
    vorwerk: black buff black
    blue buff blue were created in Holland but now probably extinct.
    white buff white were created in Holland but will soon be extinct.

Silver lakenvelder: black white black
    blue white blue
    brown white brown are being created.
    buff white buff are being created but it is not a lakenvelderpattern genetically.

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    to bad about the ones becoming extinct.. so sad..

friendly???? HA!!! all the ones i have personally owned (or known) have been very high strung flighty birds..

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I had a trio of golden until the dog got one. The roo is properly colored but the female I have left is almost laced she has so much black on her body. The one that got killed was much better colored - they were all from eggs i hatched from the same breeder.

Pullet:
    [​IMG]

Rooroo:

[​IMG]

7. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
  8. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:Ahahahhaa-anyone who names their rooster "Rooroo" is OK with me. [​IMG]

He's very pretty. I need to try to find a Lakenvelder pullet this spring. Do you by any chance have any pictures of their eggs? Are they small like the Buttercups or more of a medium size?

9. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Couldn't resist:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are vorwerk bantams.

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    OHHHH why do you have to be in the Netherlands! That pullet is GORGEOUS as well as the vowerks!!!!
    I don't have any pics of the eggs they came from but they were a white medium/large egg. These guys a not really a bantam size at all - but they are not as big as my cuckoo marans or EE pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by