Lakenvelder Large Fowl

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pathfinders, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Anyone else have these? I got a trio of Silvers from Duane Urch at the OH National two weeks ago, and set my first small hatch of eggs this morning. They are not in the best of condition right now, so no photos to post, but I am really liking the looks of them, and looking forward to working with them.

Chime in if you have LF Lakenvelders!

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I kept them for several years. Every rooster was a manfighter (at least from the line I had and you know me I hatched tons). So, they went the way of the earth!

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    It's me again Pathfinders, so yes I got a few. My first lakenvelder rooster was a horrid man fighter, unfortunately I didn't get to eat him as he and his two hens both past away from the heat we had the other summer and I was outta town. The ones I have now, both have tried but after being corrected, have left us alone.

There's been a few other threads, mostly dead now because there's not many people with them.

4. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Saladin, maybe you can answer this question for me. From what I have been able to find, there is a large fowl and a bantam vorwerk overseas. In the USA there is only a bantam vorwerk. Leading one to believe that there are golden lakenvelders (which I have). But Someone recently said there is no goldens because the SOP says any brown feather on a lakenvelder is DQed. All this tells me is that the golden variety is not an accepted color in lakenvelders. So my question is are there LF vorwerks in the USA or are these LF golden lakenvelders?

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    That is a very good question. I don't know the answer. Walt might though.

6. DallasCriftins

DallasCriftins Chillin' With My Peeps

I think what you have over there is a breeder called Vorwerk that decided to have a go a creating his own Vorwerks so not the same as we have over here.
    There is a Vorwerk and Lakenvelder Face book page

This is one of my three LF Roos
    [​IMG]

7. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Yes the man named Vorwerk made his own vorwerk bantams over here, but I have not heard of or been able to find out if a LF version of his vorwerk is in the USA. Or if what I have is a LF golden lakenvelder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by