Lakenvelders, anyone?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelleyb1969, Nov 6, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Can anyone tell me about bantam Lakenvelders? [​IMG]

I've read online that they:
    1) are excellent egg layers
    2) very active, excellent foragers
    3) rarely go broody
    4) feed conversion is superb

But I'd like to know how they're personality is? I'm considering getting some chicks from John Blehm in the spring, but this is only because I think they're gorgeous eye candy! [​IMG]

2. shelleyb1969

I forgot to add that they're listed as a rare breed...and from the looks of the responses to this post, I believe it! [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Maybe you should ask John about it and I am sure he would be happy to tell you about it.

I think they would be beautiful too! After all, I've seen Christie's (Mothergoose) Lakenvelders and boy, they are beautiful!

4. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Is it sring yet.... [​IMG]

Did you get any Lakenvelders and if so do you like them?

5. shelleyb1969

No, I'm not getting the Lakenvelders from Mr. Blehm.
    However, I do get to pick up 10 Lavender Ameraucana bantam chicks from him next month! [​IMG]

6. vbgarden

vbgarden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    I have one Lakenfelder hen from Murray McMurray hatchery. She is a really nice chicken, in addition to being quite striking looking. My spangled Hamburg (Dottie) is a bit ditzy and the Silver Leghorn is very shy, so Felder is my Main Hen. FYI, as an experiment, I had ordered a two-of-each type assortment with a couple of friends - when the box of chicks arrived, they had been identified by stickers on the bottoms of their feet.... well, HAD BEEN - most of the tags had fallen off! We sorted as best we could and just took what we ended up with when we split up the chicks. I hadn't ordered a Lakenfelder (I don't think) but I'm glad she came my way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by