Lakenvelders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cmeharper, Mar 4, 2009.

1. cmeharper

cmeharper New Egg

Mar 4, 2009
    im thinking of raising this breed but i dont know anything about them. i have raised several breeds over the last 20+ years, but never lakenvelders. i want toknow anything there is to know, but specifically how old when they start, how well they lay, do they sit, how long they lay on average, and the fertility rate. im planning on 6 hens and 4 roosters. if you know about this breed please "educate" me. thanks and god bless

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Hi and welcome to byc.
    I have the golden lakenvelders.
    They started at 20 weeks, cant say how long they will lay.
    They lay good my eggs are still on the small size.
    I'm getting good fertility , they are non setters. And are flighty.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    I have golden Lakenvelders. They lay well, but are some of the most flighty chickens I've ever had and I don't plan on getting them again.

4. Arizonachick

Arizonachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    I have 4 Silver Lakenvelder Pullets who are nearly 6 months old. They haven't started laying yet but I expect them to any day now. They are showing all of the signs. I think Lakenvelders get a bad rap. I handled mine quite a bit when they were chicks and while they are a little more high strung than my other chickens, they are affectionate in their own way. They always come running when I enter their coop and enjoy pecking at my shoe laces and my jean pant legs. I've even had them fly onto my back or shoulder once or twice. They don't need a lot of attention and are some of the best foragers I've ever had. They love to free range and are very efficient bug hunters and killers. I see them catching and eating tons of locusts every day. They are very capable flyers and like to fly onto the roof of their house or into trees on the property. They are very self sufficient, don't eat a ton of feed and are very beautiful. I understand that their eggs are considered some of the best for baking. I can't wait for my girls to start laying. :)
    Be careful with your ratio of 4 roosters to 6 pullets. You may have some fighting unless you have them penned, which I don't recomend as Lakenvelders really don't do well in confinement. God luck, enjoy your birds. :)

5. Arizonachick

Arizonachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    Of course one of My Lakenvelder's laid for me yesterday, after I posted here. They must be psychic. Beautiful tinted cream colored egg. Was much bigger than I thought it would be. She is just shy of 6 months. I'll report on the rest of the girls soon.

6. studiofarm

studiofarm New Egg

Sep 2, 2012
    Love Lakenvelders and wish I could have some right now but am in the process of moving everything. Really want to get my hands on some bantams!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by