Lakeshore Eggers?

Pics

Hepcat

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Hi, folks. I noticed that Meyer Hatchery is selling a sex link called a Lakeshore Egger, and I was wondering if any of you have experience with this hybrid. They are billed as a reliable layer of blue to green eggs, cold hardy, with a variety of feather patterns. The appeal for me is that, living in the suburbs, I cannot have a rooster, so the ability to guarantee hens is a big plus. Meyer is also willing to ship smaller quantities of birds, ( I cannot meet the usual hatchery minimum of 15 due to local ordinances)

They are described as friendly by the hatchery, but I’d rather hear from people who actual own them, lol. Have any of you added these birds to your flock? Were they healthy, calm, flighty, friendly? They sound a lot like Easter Eggers, with the main advantage being the ability to sex chicks with 100% accuracy upon hatching.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share!

3765EAB0-A3AE-4C97-AE0E-8F40DA018C62.jpeg B4C79441-4668-47CC-A207-9CBE7D4F23C5.jpeg 149B9176-AB74-4EDC-9EA2-3D15CC71C316.jpeg We ordered their rainbow pullet mix and it has 3 in the mix. They are very friendly about 8 weeks now. One is pure white, and the other 2 are (IMO) gorgeous coloring. Anxious to see their eggs!

I went back to the Meyer website, and double checked the description..I have cut and pasted here;

“Chicks from the Lakeshore Egger line have a mixed heritage of Legbar and other laying breeds and are autosexable at hatch.”

I’m reading this to mean the chicks are autosexable. If not, I’m not sure how these would be different from EEs? Why would I want to pay 12.66 each for a hybrid that’s the same size, lays the same color eggs, as an EE for 3.75? If their customer service is now saying they are not autosexable, but the website says they are, that’s not good. Thanks for the feedback!

I have one Lakeshore Egger from Meyer from May 6th 2019 hatch date, she is very friendly and very inquisitive and has a cute quirky look that I love.
She started to lay on August 29th ( the first of 8 girls from that order) and laid very consistently until November 11th when she had a light molt and started up laying again on Jan 5th.
I don’t have a good recent pic of her on this phone but this one is from about 14 weeks old, her color is slightly darker now with a cute tufted head and lays an olive colored egg, one of my favorite girls.
Her egg is the top left one.

Attachments

• 7691167F-49E4-43A3-B8D7-7B9EF5238B65.jpeg
    7691167F-49E4-43A3-B8D7-7B9EF5238B65.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 68
  • CA61FB30-F281-41B9-9852-D4014DBCDB1D.jpeg
    CA61FB30-F281-41B9-9852-D4014DBCDB1D.jpeg
    674.6 KB · Views: 76
Hello all, I know this is an older thread but I thought I would chine in anyway. We have Lakeshore Eggers that are now full grown hens and have been laying for quite a while. We got them about 14 months ago. They are really interesting chickens in that each ones looks unique. The color range of the chickens goes from white, to cream, to brown shades to black. The palette in the eggs is really beautiful. We have had Easter Eggers before and, to us, the difference is that these chickens lay more eggs and the eggs are larger in size. Also there is a much greater range in color. We have blue, green, brown in various shades and even earthy colors I’ve never seen before.
The hens are friendly and get along well with other breeds. They’re a pretty good size, definitely larger than Easter Eggers.
In addition we really like Meyer Hatchery where you can get them. We had zero death rate on these chicks. We got more this year and had zero death rate again. Also, no Roos in the bunch either time. Just very healthy, robust chicks. This breed seems to be very fiesty as chicks, quick to check out new things when introduced and just, overall, very energetic. At about 6-8 weeks some develop a little Mohawk on their head which is delightful, especially for children.
I admit these are now our favorite breed. They just seem to have everything we want from a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom