LaMancha bred with Nubian - what will kids look like?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Ewe Mama2, May 12, 2009.

1. Ewe Mama2

Ewe Mama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    Our LaMancha doe is due to kid in about 6 weeks and I got to wondering what the kids will looks like. She is a gopher eared Lamancha and the big boy who did the deed is a Nubian. What kind of ears are going to result with this combination? Anyone have a picture of similar experience? I'd love to be prepared! [​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Your kids will have elf ears. Probably longer than most elf ears because of the Nubian, but elf ears nonetheless.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    My Nubian doe was bred last year to my LM buck and we got elf ears but sometimes you can get either no ears or elf ears or nubian ears it just depends on what is stronger...you wont know till they get here...

4. Ewe Mama2

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom. I feel so clueless all the time when it comes to this little lady.

5. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    My LM doe was bred to a Nubian buck and her baby had LONG nubian ears. Funny thing is she can hold them straight up when she is playing with her brother! She looks like the flying nun.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    These kids are from LM dams, by my nubian buck. This ear (elf) is the only type I've ever gotten from the F1 cross. My Nubian buck has EXCELLENT breed character, and the does all have gopher ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I love the LM ears, I was dissapointed when the doeling came out with long ears, but after reading this it seems like a lot of people are breeding LM to Nubians, is there a particular reason why? I bought my doe bred and never thought to ask the question. I am searching for a LM buck in this area for my next breeding.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Personally, the LM X Nubian is my favorite cross.

But mine are a result of an..er..overzealous buck-he learned how to breed does through the fence.

9. Ewe Mama2

Mar 26, 2009
    Northeastern Ohio
    Thank you all so much! I love the photos and the idea of having a kid with "flying nun" ears made me laugh. Honestly, that is what I thought the kid(s) might look like!

10. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Oh my gosh! I love those ears [​IMG]!! Of course you say the world "elf" and I get hooked [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by