Lamancha with blue eyes and a cute pygmy - First time goat owner I am excited!

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I pick them up this Saturday and they also get their shots that day too! I am SO giddy. Both seem to not like people too much but they're young so in time they might learn to like me :-]
Both wethers, I don't really want bucks... Main reason to keep them is for pets and to clear some bothersome crab grass "hay" on my property, hopefully they will gobble it up. It's mostly dried up crab grass that grew wild in a pepper garden, last year I had snakes lurking around and I think they may have been in the grass when it was still green and lush. Now it's yellow and crunchy lol.
Any advice or wisdom from other goat owners?

OH they will clear a field in a matter of days. I have 4 Pygmies and they are like a mower. I really think you will enjoy your goats.

Welcome to the lovely world of keeping goats!!!

If you have any questions let me know!!!

Good luck

Animalgirl12

We had a little Nubian doe, she was crazy wild when we got her! She didn't want anything to do with us for quite a while.
Two months and a bit of work later and she was a big puppy. Takes some time, but well worth it.

Wethers, I have found, are often much easier to tame. Most of them are just so laid back.

Good luck!
Also, you might might to limit their grass eating and mix it with a bit of whatever they were eating prior for the first couple days. If they are coming off hay/etc switching to something entirely different or even just having access to a lot of new greenery can throw them off a bit.
i.e. They can get the runs... lol

Oooh I see. Goats seem to poop very, easy I guess. It kind of just falls out lol. They were on grain and alfalfa so I'll keep them on that for a while.
Can goat poop be used for fertilizer? Now, if that's the case, will it fertilize my property? I read that goats won't go down to the roots so maybe more plants will grow?

Yep, just gradually introduce them to their new food over a short period of time and they'll be good. And be sure they're on a good mineral, ask and see what the breeder you're getting them from uses.
It's wonderful fertilizer, we use it in our gardens!
Probably, if when they are done munching away you move them elsewhere and give it time to grow back. lol, not an expert on that but I don't see why not.

295654_495986007116543_251638266_n.jpg

Well I got them tonight. I do have a question. What can I use as a collar for leash training? The pygmy somehow got loose from this kind of collar http://0.tqn.com/d/dogs/1/0/M/-/-/-/stdcollars.JPG , the buckle looking one where it clicks when it's in, and he darted off into the street. I had to slowly herd him back into the yard. Luckily it was night. Had no problem with the mancha but wow the pygmy can really move. Apparently that collar isn't going to work, I don't want him getting away again. They're both skittish, pygmy is a little more skittish than the other, so I'll be taking things very slowly and leash train them in the pen first with lots of treats and praise. I just need a strong collar that they can't break free from.

just to tell you now and this could save your goats lives in the future should you feed them CLOVER HAY (red or white clover) make sure it is not molded at all it WILL kill them also if you do like i do and let them free range sometimes put something around any beloved trees you have because they can have all the grass they want if you have a tree expect the bark that is in their reach to be gone and your tree dead speaking from personal expirence as i have about a 2 acre yard and about 10 acres of pasture around me and they still go for the trees even some of the planks on my barn have been nibbled and cords too

Last edited:
Lamancha
I pick them up this Saturday and they also get their shots that day too! I am SO giddy. Both seem to not like people too much but they're young so in time they might learn to like me :-]
Both wethers, I don't really want bucks... Main reason to keep them is for pets and to clear some bothersome crab grass "hay" on my property, hopefully they will gobble it up. It's mostly dried up crab grass that grew wild in a pepper garden, last year I had snakes lurking around and I think they may have been in the grass when it was still green and lush. Now it's yellow and crunchy lol.

Lamancha

The lamancha sounds like a mini if it has blue eyes~nigerian/lamancha and pygmy goats don't have blue eyes only nigerians do. They are great pets just remember to feed proper goat feed nonmedicated in small amounts since wethers don't need a lot of grain. Keep a mineral block out or loose goat minerals. Worm only when needed and use the same wormer till it doesn't work anymore. Gamancha method works great for worm check. Never give cow hay and not alfalfa since they are wethers just good dry hay or as much forage as they want.

Back
Top Bottom