lambs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenKeep01, Feb 11, 2017.

1. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    One of my sheep recently rejected one of its twins and now we have to take care of it. So we decided to get him a friend and its causing some problems with my chooks. They wont go anywhere near either of them and if the chooks see them they just go crazy bwaking and clucking as loud as possible running away at first sight. why are they so scared, they couldn't care less about my dog and walk right up to her but the lambs just make them go crazy why?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Chickens are naturally wary of new animals they haven't seen or been around much. A bouncy baby lamb is a scary thing to a chicken!

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We used to have a similar issue when we had goats. As long as the goats stayed on their side of the fence, the chickens were fine and just ignored them. But if a kid got through the dividing fence and into the chicken run, the girls would go nuts.

I think it's mainly the chickens perceive the other animals as being something "new" because they aren't where they've been before and anything new is a threat. And, as TheKindaFarmGal said, they're "bouncy".

4. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    Well mine will go crazy just at the sight of them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by