Lambs!

greyfields

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Washington State
We just had our first lambs of the year, having moved our schedule ahead from May lambing. To be honest, I was completely caught off guard. One of the ewes this morning looked a bit sluggish. As she turned to walk off, she had an immense bag swaying under her. So, we managed to clean out the workshop and get the jugs set up just in time for triplets; two ram lambs and a ewe lamb.

I looked back on the calendar, too. If they were full term, our ram tupped her the first day in the field with them. Looking at my notes based on his breeding harness, though, they're about 3 days early... which makes sense for a large 'litter'. Their wool looked a bit underdeveloped, too, so I think they were just a smidge early. But all are doing well.

Ohh, they sound cute!

I want pics!!
tongue.png

That's so cool! I miss lambs, my grandparents always raised sheep, they sold their herd a few years ago as he couldn't tend them anymore..he's 94 now. People would pull over beside the road to watch the lambs play, they are just too cute. Please post some pics!!!
ya.gif

Congrats! There's nothing cuter than a baby lamb! We raised sheep for years (still have 6 remaining, but they're pets now!). How about some pics???!!!
big_smile.png

Ok, here are the first two. I thought I'd include this one since it shows "chicken midwife". One of our Marans was there for the whole endeavor and got a nice clean from the ewe for her work.

Two more last night! That's 5 in 8 days, with 2 more bred ewes due two weeks from now.

It's not the best spread, but I made no attempt to get the girls on cycle. I did flush them I think, by simple dumb luck of putting them in a new field about 3 days before the ram entered the scene.

Back
Top Bottom