Lambs!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greyfields, Feb 10, 2008.

1. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    We just had our first lambs of the year, having moved our schedule ahead from May lambing. To be honest, I was completely caught off guard. One of the ewes this morning looked a bit sluggish. As she turned to walk off, she had an immense bag swaying under her. So, we managed to clean out the workshop and get the jugs set up just in time for triplets; two ram lambs and a ewe lamb.

I looked back on the calendar, too. If they were full term, our ram tupped her the first day in the field with them. Looking at my notes based on his breeding harness, though, they're about 3 days early... which makes sense for a large 'litter'. Their wool looked a bit underdeveloped, too, so I think they were just a smidge early. But all are doing well.

2. blb

blb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Maryland
    Ohh, they sound cute!

I want pics!! [​IMG]

3. Itsme

Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Glad it turned out well,sometimes the off guard is a bugger! [​IMG]

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    That's so cool! I miss lambs, my grandparents always raised sheep, they sold their herd a few years ago as he couldn't tend them anymore..he's 94 now. People would pull over beside the road to watch the lambs play, they are just too cute. Please post some pics!!! [​IMG]

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    awww I want pics

6. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Congrats! There's nothing cuter than a baby lamb! We raised sheep for years (still have 6 remaining, but they're pets now!). How about some pics???!!! [​IMG]

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Must have pics. [​IMG]

8. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

Ok, here are the first two. I thought I'd include this one since it shows "chicken midwife". One of our Marans was there for the whole endeavor and got a nice clean from the ewe for her work.

[​IMG]

9. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Two more last night! That's 5 in 8 days, with 2 more bred ewes due two weeks from now.

It's not the best spread, but I made no attempt to get the girls on cycle. I did flush them I think, by simple dumb luck of putting them in a new field about 3 days before the ram entered the scene.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Awww how sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by