lambs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by psycoforsilkies, Feb 25, 2012.

1. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    If i get a pair of lambs at 4 weeks do they still need to nurse on a bottle i have heard till 8/10 weeks, what is the best food to give grain, hay, grazing, should they sleep inside at night? if they wear diapers can they come in th house?

2. purplequeenvt

purplequeenvt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    Don't get lambs at 4 weeks unless they are already bottle babies. They should be on milk for at least 8 weeks. Either get lambs on the bottle or something already weaned. If you get young babies, they can live in the house for a while - in a diaper of course! [​IMG] Otherwise, they should be fine in a snug barn/shed/garage.

As for other feed...get a sheep specific feed (no added copper!) and offer it free choice along with a good quality grass hay.

3. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    If I don,t take them someone will, So should I supplement them with Lamb milk, they are on pasture with Ewe and are also fed pelleted feed for sheep

4. purplequeenvt

purplequeenvt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    Why is the farmer trying to sell them at that age? If they have been exclusively dam fed (ie. not on a bottle) it could be next to impossible to get them to take a bottle. Some will take it if they are hungry enough, others won't.

If they are really, truly eating forage and grain in good quantities, the lambs might be OK. The problem is that lambs rumens aren't fully developed at the age and without their mother's milk they have trouble getting the correct nutrients. I would, if you are determined to get these particular lambs, try to get them on milk replacer for another month or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by