lame baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peachick, Jan 6, 2009.

1. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    I have a 3 week old baby chicken that has gone lame in both legs. He eats drinks and poohs fine. but he cant walk. The rest of the chicks are fine. I noticed it yesterday... today he might be slightly worse.

I have hatched a good many birds but have not seen this before.... any ideas?

2. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I don't know but sure would like to know I went to feed our 3 week olds this morning and found 2 just like it I can still walk but the other one can't one is a barred rock and the other is a white laced red cornish

3. peachick

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
  4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    me too but none of the other chicks are showing any symptoms they are thriving. dh thinks that ours the bigger chicks squished them and broke their legs I have them isolated

5. peachick

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    my baby died today and I took it to the state lab. They will let me know what was wrong. In the mean time all the babies are on tylan and I completly bleached out their brooder box, food and water bowls and opened up a new bag of wood shavings for bedding. It seems I have a silkie chick with same symptoms.

sigh:(

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    OH my goodness I am so sorry! If it is mereks and their is anything I can do to help let me know.

Henry

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Oh no. I'm hope it's nothing serious.

8. peachick

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    thanks Henry and Sarah!! After talking to my friend and NPIP tester, he dosnt think its is mereks, but most likely MS.... mycoplasma. He said most birds are carriers but less than 5% ever show symptoms. He also commented that since the copper marans have such a small gene pool and are so inbred they are a target for this type of thing. GRRRRRRRRR

MS is treatable with tylan.... so the surviving chicks are all being OD'd on tylan at the moment.... Im holding my breath no one else gets sick. Im really surprised I have never seen this before... guess I have been lucky..... until now.

I will let you all know how this goes.

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm so glad it's treatable! Hopefully no one else shows symptoms for you [​IMG]

10. peachick

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Well we are doing OK. WHEW....and WHEWWW!!
    The one silkie chick with symptoms is still wobbly but not gotten any worse since I started it on the tylan. The maran chicks all seem fine. one little blue girl seemed like she was starting to develop symptoms, but I don't see it now.

Nuttin like the thought of an epidemic to get ya heart racing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by