Lame chicken help

smilingdog

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2022
So one of our chickens, a Brahman yearling, is lame for some reason. One day she just stumbled out of the coop and fell over unable to use her legs properly. No other chickens are showing similar symptoms, so we quarantined her in our smaller coop.

She's eating and drinking well, but she's on her side alot and can't seem to get up. But her legs do work! She just can't seem to right herself. Though, periodically she can get up and walk with assistance.

Any idea what could be going on? Put B complex in her water today, but she's been lame for about a week with little improvement.

Instead of B complex in the water, give her 1/2 tablet crushed into some food or a spoonful of water that she will take all of. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? What do you feed her? It is important that she can reach food and water. You can feed her at least twice a day with watery chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food. Chicken slings can sometimes be helpful if they will stay in one for periods throughout the day. Here is a good link about slings chairs, especially post 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Instead of B complex in the water, give her 1/2 tablet crushed into some food or a spoonful of water that she will take all of. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? What do you feed her? It is important that she can reach food and water. You can feed her at least twice a day with watery chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food. Chicken slings can sometimes be helpful if they will stay in one for periods throughout the day. Here is a good link about slings chairs, especially post 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

As far as I know she's not vaccinated, as we got her second hand and didn't hatch her ourselves. She's fed several things: layer feed, wild game feed, a little bit of a seed mix, and whatever bugs she was able to catch.

But that is a good idea on the tab in food thing, I'll try that in a sec!

So she's doing a bit better. Only thing is, is she's now sticking her leg out behind her and just sitting on it like that. Sometimes she'll correct herself, but she will sit normally when corrected

I hope not. Did see something about trying hypericum, which I guess wouldn't hurt. Kinda made the choice that if she's not better in another week it's best to cull her. Don't want to have to, but it's life.

If you are in the US and decide to cull her, you could have the state vet perform a necropsy and testing for Mareks to rule it out, since it could affect the rest of your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom