Lame chicken only at night!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chookgal, Dec 27, 2016.

1. chookgal

chookgal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2016
    I have a hen that is acting lame in one leg, kicking it out behind her when she walks, drooping her wing towards it, resting on the toes of that foot, and all around acting very lethargic... But only at night! During the day she's eating drinking walking around just fine. Its been going on for the past two nights, and is worse this night than it was last. Her balance was off, so. I had to put her in the nest box to sleep. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You don't mention if you've taken the time to examine her foot pads. Bumblefoot is a common reason for a chicken to favor a foot. Foreign matter is another. I once discovered a pine cone scale lodged in the foot pad of one of my chickens. An infected scale is another. Look for scales raised and material, especially black, pussy material under a scale especially on toes and top of the foot.

If the foot pads look okay, then a vitamin deficiency can can cause lameness. Next on the list of causes of leg problems is a cancer causing virus.

So inspect and rule out the obvious first.

3. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Chickens will try to act normal for as long as they can because the weaker chickens get bullied. Maybe she feels more nervous during the day when the other chickens are more active and it's easier to see so she walks on it but at night, when they are settled in, she feels more comfortable to let her guard down. I dunno. That's the only thing I can think of.

4. chookgal

chookgal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2016
    She's better now I put acv in their water hasnt done it since... I think it was a parasite/neurological thing. Thanks for being willing to help!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by