Lame Chicken please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnsaRoux, Feb 22, 2015.

1. AnsaRoux

AnsaRoux New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    South Africa
    Hi guys, I am new to BYC and to having chickens, I have 5 week old, Cornish Crosses. Over a week ago I noticed that one of my birds isn't walking right, he was off balance and would sit with his legs in the air in front of him, well a few days later he was fine. Then it started again now he is unable to walk at all. He does not seem sick, eyes are clear, eats and drinks well, but he can't walk. I have included a pic. (the purple on his wings is just Gentian violet, the other chickens was picking on him) Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with him?
    [​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Check the bottoms of his feet. Could be bumblefoot. Another possibility is that your bird is ready to be butchered. I don't keep this breed, so check with someone who does first, but this breed has been designed to get fat quick. Sometimes their legs cannot hold their weight.

Other diseases possible are Marek's and Newcastle, vitamin D or K deficiency. Good luck and keep my updated please.

3. AnsaRoux

AnsaRoux New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    South Africa
    Hi Outpost JWB, thanks for your reply. I have checked the bottom of his feet, there is no problems there, he doesn't have the symptoms for Marek's (I read that it kills fast and he has been like this for almost 2 weeks), all of the chickens has been vaccinated for Newcastle. I have read that this breed tends to have problems with there bones (growing to fast). I am looking to buy another breed, but we live close to a small town, Kokstad, in KZN, South Africa, and the hatchery only sells the Cornish Cross. I will look into the vit. K deficiency, he gets a lot of vit. D [​IMG]

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    My initial thought was Mareks. I'm afraid the information you read is not the whole picture with Mareks by far. I have lost one quite quickly to it with huge tumours but I have one that has been lame for 4 months with it and got no worse She has learned to hold her bad leg up and hop about..... she eats and drinks and is the picture of health apart from being on one leg. She is very petite though(another Marek's sign), so there is no significant weight for her good leg to carry. Another went horribly lame 3 months ago and miraculously recovered a few days later and then had another attack a few weeks ago and has been unable to stand and needed to be propped up in a nest box as her legs stuck out and she would roll onto her side. Again bright eyed and eats well which is normal with Mareks. Thankfully she is getting a little better and has started to stand again for short spells in the past few days. It's taking quite a lot of tlc but mine are laying pullets not meat birds and the worse of the 2 has even started laying this past week despite being semi paralysed and I'm getting an egg every other day from her so far.

Having said all that, I believe meat birds like yours have problems with their legs and joints nayway because they grow so fast and it may be that your little man has dislocated hips looking at that picture. Considering that he is a meat bird and you would be slaughtering soon anyway, it might be best culling him now as I would imagine he will get soiled and pressure sores/burns from being down on the bottom like that and any meat may well not be fit to eat if he gets an infection.... Or you could make him a hammock so that he is supported up of the ground until he is up to slaughter weight.

Apologies if I have offended and he is not intended for meat as most Cornish cross are. If he is to be a pet then I would cut down on his food, make a hammock and perhaps do daily physio. You will also need to keep nails clipped as they grow long with not being able to run around and scratch.

5. AnsaRoux

AnsaRoux New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    South Africa
    Rebrascora, thanks for your reply. No, I am not offended. I will take your advice, and make a sling first just to make sure he does not get any sores. As for the Mareks I have read a lot about it and is still not sure about it. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by