Lame Chicken Why? Dont think Marek's??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BloominOrchid, Apr 16, 2011.

1. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    I have 2 chickens ( well I have lots but 2 that Im talking about), one roo and one pullet (POL) who are what seems to be lame?
    The roo sits most of the day and tends to sprawl his legs forward like hes in a recliner... [​IMG]
    My pullet is normally very flighty and hard to catch let alone handle, and now she tends to sit on the floor hay also leaning back in her imaginary chair
    [​IMG]
    neither seem to have any broken bones or foot injuries... both have been wormed & de bugged about 12 days ago.
    Any ideas? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    I lost my blue wyndote, mille fleur, and my porcelain d'uccle to the same thing and and a handful of chicks. its been over a 4 month span and I just dont get it!
    everyone has been given iver, its not just my hens? the coop has been cleaned out twice.
    im at a loss!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It almost sounds like Marek's disease, but I'm not sure. You might want to read up on it...symptoms, diagnosis etc...If you have another one die, I recommend you send it off to a state lab or some place to find out what you're dealing with. You can contact your county extension agent, state dept of agriculture for details or even a vet might be able to help you.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Also check for even a tiny amount of moldy food, it can present the same way. If only a few chickens from the flock are involved it could be mycotoxin poisoning. I found it here down in a crack under the coop. A friend of mine found it under the feeder. It only takes a minute amount.

And as dawg said, the other most common option is Marek's.

Hope you can figure it out and help the birds!

5. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Darn! ( i had other words but that was the safest)
    Ok so it does sound like whats going on.
    no treatment?? only prevention?
    So do I cull the whole flock? Or do I just nothing??
    Do I notify people I have visited & I know that have chickens too?
    Im so [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Check the mold issues - if it was Marek's it would probably be more of the flock affected. I'll have to look it up somewhere, but the treatment involved crumbled charcoal tablets in the feed, selenium and Vit. E. I'll check to see it I have that info.

BUT.... the first step is to have one necropsied- check with your state's Ag Dept. and also vets in you area who treat avians. No need to cull them all until you KNOW what the problem is.

7. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    If someone else dies Ill send them out. But knock on wood no one has.
    I hope its mold! That would be so much easier.
    My chickens range from 1 yr to 2 weeks...

8. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Im reading about Hypericum as a treatment... not a cure but supportive care.
    My roo that has seemed to be affected for some time is still hanging on. its been Id say 1 1/2 months of supportive care with him.

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    that chick has Mereks.
    Moldy feed causes mycotoxicosis (forgive me if I spelled that wrong) from which the main symptom is a paralyzed neck that hangs down loose and can't be picked up byt he bird. Birds with myco can respond well to intense vitamin therapy. I advocate culling immendiatly any birds like yours that show signs of Mareks, the spread of the disease comes from their dander which gets heavier as they continue down the road of dieing.

10. BloominOrchid

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Well Shes kicking, and I do mean kicking!
    We gave her the meds (denagard) and the whole flock.
    She has lost no weight, just cant get under her feet. they move all the way up to her hips. so Im thinking maybe something with her hips.
    No one else is sick (knock on wood) so im thinking its NOT Merks!?
    Thoughts?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by