Lame Chicken with a red bump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UrbanfarmGirl11, Aug 5, 2014.

1. UrbanfarmGirl11

UrbanfarmGirl11 New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    I noticed my 16 week old chick was limping for a few days so I brought her inside. She seems fine (other than the limp) She has a good appetite and has some good energy. I am keeping her in a small crate and providing food with additional vitimins and ACV water. I noticed a few mites but they went away with an application of Adams and Ivermectin. She must have been pale and under fed because her color and stools are better today. It seems like her leg is paralized - Its smaller than the other leg like its atrophied, but other than that it seems fine. It doesnt seem painful to her when I palpitate it and there are no obvious bruises or broken bones. I did notice a large red bump (pictured) on her body near the hip socket. What could it be? Would a spider bite cause these symptoms? Could it be Mereks? I have not noticed an improvement in the limp with the additional vitamins so I dont think it was vitamin deficiency. I feel like this red bump is a clue but I dont know what it is. There are no other red bumps on her body. Any help is appreciated. [​IMG]

2. UrbanfarmGirl11

UrbanfarmGirl11 New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    She is about the same - still very shaky on her feet. Im worried its Mereks. I also noticed that she had lots of lice egges on the feathers on her head!! It looks like I got rid of the adults though. I used some oil to remove lots of the eggs and I will retreat in a week and get the babies. I also treated the rest of my flock last night but I couldnt see any signs of lice on them. I provide wood ash for them to dust bathe with. Could these problems be from the lice, or is it Mereks and the lice picked on her because she was sick? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks guys.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mareks can affect them in different ways. Mine start to stumble then gradually lose the ability to walk and eventually waste away to nothing. Or they just suddenly drop dead with no warning at all. If she doesn't make it you can have her tested to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by