Lame dog.....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bufforp89, Jan 24, 2011.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I recently aquired a large lab/chow cross dog. He is older and seems to be pretty lame on his left front. I have made an appt. for him to see the vet but is there anything I can give him to ease his pain until his appt? Are there vitamins that he could be getting daily to help? He has been an outside dog for 13 years so Im thinking that its a combination of the cold and lack of excercise pretty much his whole life that has done it. Any advice?

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Thirteen is a pretty good age for a dog, especially a chow mix. My uneducated guess, based on experience with our Chow, Teddy, who lived to be 16 years old, would be arthritis. You could try a joint supplement, such as glucosamine with condroitin. I'd talk to the vet before using any OTC NSAIDs, like tylenol or ibuprofen - some dogs react badly to these. Maybe a baby aspirin?

Does the dog have a soft, warm place to sleep, now? That may help alleviate morning stiffness.

Thanks for trying to make this old guy's twilight years more comfortable! [​IMG]

3. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    My lab has started to develop some age related arthritis and the glucosamine and chondroitin supplemented food has helped him a lot.

4. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:You are right, but I would say NEVER give a dog either tylenol or ibuprofen. They can both be toxic to dogs at relatively low doses. Baby aspirin is safer but has been known to cause bleeding stomach ulcers and the safe dose doesn't really help with pain.

Your vet can get you some safer options that are not too expensive.

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh good for you for adopting this old boy. Keeping him warm and on a cushy bed should help. The vet may prescribe Rimadyl but you could try him on a couple of buffered aspirin. My dog didn't seem to handle them well so I stopped. If you don't know this dog well you might not be able to tell if they upset his tummy. I agree no tylenol/ibuprofen.

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:You are right, but I would say NEVER give a dog either tylenol or ibuprofen. They can both be toxic to dogs at relatively low doses. Baby aspirin is safer but has been known to cause bleeding stomach ulcers and the safe dose doesn't really help with pain.

Actually my vet eighty some year old male vet.....just had me give my dog liquid tylenol in addition to other pain med he had gave for my dog....last summer for back pain....he was the best vet around here and he just passed away in dec. [​IMG] Very highly recommended and preferred by many. I have learned tons from him and will miss his help and advice terribly. I use too question him all the time years ago and every-time guess who was right?

7. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Maybe there is a time when a vet can advise tylenol, but generally you NEVER give tylenol or ibruprofen to a dog. I have been told that by many vets. Glucosamine with chondroitin is a much better choice with aspirin for pain, at least for over the counter. Rimadyl is prescription and works really well for a lot of dogs, so that is another option.

8. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    My bulldog has severe arthritis and the vet has only advised using a buffered aspirin only like one to two times per week and only then if really needed. Also, My Chow who is 11 years old just showed signs of limping and stiffness on his right front leg when he gets up. I didn't start him on anything yet but will be picking up some of the joint supplements at the vet. I have always heard tylenol & ibuprofen should never be given to a dog.

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Actually my vet eighty some year old male vet.....just had me give my dog liquid tylenol in addition to other pain med he had gave for my dog....last summer for back pain....he was the best vet around here and he just passed away in dec. [​IMG] Very highly recommended and preferred by many. I have learned tons from him and will miss his help and advice terribly. I use too question him all the time years ago and every-time guess who was right?

I too was prescribed children aspirin for an arthritic cat- the benefit outweighed the risk. But it was under vet supervision (and did eventually harm her).

There are new pain medicines for dogs- one is Metacam- by prescription only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by