Lame dove with other issues...

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
I have a young dove (6 months) that is limping badly on one leg, it is slightly swollen, but no visible injury. I don't see any string or hairs wrapped around it either. I did some google searching and read that salmonellosis can cause lameness? I ordered some Medpet 4 in 1 powder hoping that will help, or at least not hurt.
I also have a bonded pair that have been off lately, the female is only laying one egg every so often and the hatch rate is poor. One baby hatched and it had something wrong with it, appeared blind and passed away after a couple months. I've never had these problems with them before so I'm wondering if salmonellosis can cause that too? The pair are only a few years old.
I tried adding vitamins, changing feed, and giving more mineral grit, just in case it was a deficiency.
Just looking for input from someone more experienced.

Last edited:
I have a young dove (6 months) that is limping badly on one leg, it is slightly swollen, but no visible injury. I don't see any string or hairs wrapped around it either. I did some google searching and read that salmonellosis can cause lameness? I ordered some Medpet 4 in 1 powder hoping that will help, or at least not hurt.
I also have a bonded pair that have been off lately, the female is only laying one egg every so often and the hatch rate is poor. One baby hatched and it had something wrong with it, appeared blind and passed away after a couple months. I've never had these problems with them before so I'm wondering if salmonellosis can cause that too? The pair are only a few years old.
I tried adding vitamins, changing feed, and giving more mineral grit, just in case it was a deficiency.hy
I believe salmonella can cause a wide variety of symptoms including poor reproductive success. Medpet 4 in 1 sounds like
a good product to try. Sorry, I'm not experienced enough to guide you further.

I tried adding vitamins, changing feed, and giving more mineral grit, just in case it was a deficiency.hy
I believe salmonella can cause a wide variety of symptoms including poor reproductive success. Medpet 4 in 1 sounds like
a good product to try. Sorry, I'm not experienced enough to guide you further.

Back
Top Bottom