Lame drake

Vics

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2017
Hiya

I have a lame drake.
He’s been down for two weeks.
Eating, drinking, preening and chatting but slides about on belly.

His whole leg was hot and swollen, so Vet gave me antibiotics. The swelling and heat is away from foot to below joint BUT joint is still very swollen and hot. We’re on Day 2 of second course of antibiotics.

He has always been a scabby looking duck with weird wing feathers but has always been a character.

They freerange, get brewers yeast and Niacin in water and plenty of peas too.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• C9D4F3DC-56BD-4B79-9F52-05E64EDEDD72.jpeg
    C9D4F3DC-56BD-4B79-9F52-05E64EDEDD72.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 20
Can you see any place where he may have had a wound of some kind? How is the bottom of his foot?

Just wondering if this is bumble[staff infection] what is the antibiotic your giving him?

we’ve opened and flushed the bump near my thumb 3 times. Used Epsom salts and poultices but nothing comes other than a bit of blood, it’s got smaller and more squishy but not gone...

I’m in UK, vet has him on Synulox which is amoxicillin together with clavulanic acid.

Should I keep digging away inside that lump?

Attachments

• CCF3554A-5710-4B65-BCE6-9B8C45E91C9D.jpeg
    CCF3554A-5710-4B65-BCE6-9B8C45E91C9D.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 18
we’ve opened and flushed the bump near my thumb 3 times. Used Epsom salts and poultices but nothing comes other than a bit of blood, it’s got smaller and more squishy but not gone...

I’m in UK, vet has him on Synulox which is amoxicillin together with clavulanic acid.

Should I keep digging away inside that lump?
It kind of looks like bumble foot...I would do keep doing what you are doing, but wrap it after you soak. You can use gauze pads and water proof medical tape or vetrap. It seems to be looking good....getting softer, etc. I would try to pick at it to get infection out....

Back
Top Bottom