Lame duck

bdavies

Hatching
May 25, 2016
My poor Pekin has been gradually going lame. She'd walk just fine one day then the next be unable to get up, then walk again the next day. But now it's been 3 days of no walking. Nothing wrong with her feet or legs. No swelling or heat in them, kicks fine when I pick her up but can't sustain her own weight. She struggles to get uptight from laying down. Before she'd just struggle to get upright but once she was she'd walk fine. About 10 weeks old. Tried niacin supplements for a few weeks with no improvement. Does anyone have any other ideas or ways I can save her or help her heal? I've had her in her pool a lot hoping she'd heal up if she at least swam but still doesn't move much there, either.

She may have a systemic infection - or there could be a problem with her reproductive system that is now developing.

If you could get her to a good duck vet that would be best.

Giving her time in lukewarm water deep enough to float in, under supervision may help.

Pekins can go through growth spurts that make it difficult for them to carry their own weight. So I would help her get off her legs as much as possible. Perhaps you could build a sling for her.

You could take a fecal sample to a vet's office and have them check for parasites.

I supplement their feed with niacin after one of mine went "lame" -she couldnt stand. It cleared up within a week and no recurrence since with the niacin.

Back
Top Bottom