Lame duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by horsejody, Nov 2, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    No, it's not a politician. It's Chester Louise. As some of you snow, she was a rescue. She has a very crooked leg due to a bad diet as a duckling. She was doing fine until a couple of days ago. Her leg is so crooked that she sometimes steps on her own foot and trips herself. She does OK when she walks, but has trouble when she runs. Saturday morning I found her unable to stand in the coop. I isolated her into the hospital cage. She is still eating, drinking, quacking and making a mess. At first she couldn't stand or walk. Last night and this morning she can stand for a little while, but not walk. She has recently started laying eggs. She is a very prolific layer. She gives me an egg every day, and every few days it's a double yolker so we let her have Layena instead of the multiflock feed. What more can I do for her? Should she go back to the multiflock, or is the layeana OK? She also forages in the yard (at least she did before the injury). She is a Pekin. The crooked leg is the sore one. This is an older picture, but it will give you an idea of the crooked leg.

[​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Can you give her some tub therapy time?

You may also want to give her some brewer's yeast for the extra niacin. Crush a tablet and sprinkle it on her food.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

If you can't see anything obvious - cuts, swelling, the joint moves, nothing different on the bottom of her foot, then she may have just strained it. In that case, swimming is the best thing for her. It can take a while to heal back up also.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I forget to add that I did that.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] for her.

I am wondering if your poor girl stepped on her foot and pulled a ligament in her bummer leg. Pool therapy is great. Every once in awhile I have a duck with a hurt leg, they seem to prefer to spend lots of time on the pond (kiddie swim pool) - lots of time = most of the day and night.

Personally my ducks do not like the Layena and will no longer eat it (neither will my chickens or geese). I feed Flock Raiser from hatch to the end and supplement with oyster shells and ground chicken/duck/geese egg shells.

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:When I had a lame duck, she spent as much time as she could floating. I would bring her food to the kiddie pool so she wouldn't have to get in and out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by