1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lame duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Muffie, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Muffie

Muffie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2014
    Good morning -22 here in Ontario canada. Our 2 year old duck who had bumble during the summer has started limping now can hardly walk her feathers are nice her bill a bit paler than the others she is eating but not as much as normal drinking. She laid her last egg three days ago. She is in the house we bring in her friends everyday the cackle with each other but she still just lays in one spot after she has her swim she tries to walk but not very well. I started her on antibiotic two days now not much change should I be using pen g I wonder. Can someone help me. We don't have an avian vet in our area. Thanks kirsti

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome, Muffie,

You may be onto something with the antibiotic. I am not a pro with that, hope a more experienced person comes in but the pen g may work.

It may or may not be related to the bumblefoot earlier, sometimes ducks can develop arthritis following infections. Or it could have quietly gone systemic and she is grappling with that.

Egg yolk peritonitis is a possibility, and the proper antitiobic regimen can sometimes help with that - often we discover it too late (I have lost two to that because by the time there were symptoms, they were gone or close to gone).

Close examination of the legs - any joint swelling, apparent tenderness, unusual warmth? How does the belly feel? Kinda squishy? Has she lost weight?

Do you have vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics? Especially since she's been taking antibiotics, I am thinking to boost her gut flora.

I would also try some Epsom salt compresses on the legs and feet. It is a good all-around treatment. Don't let her drink any of the solution, it's a laxative.

How do her feces look?

3. Muffie

Feb 9, 2014
    I have given her electrolytes and probiotic solution. My husband took her outside but didn't let the other ducks near her. He allowed her to swim first and put her on the porch and she groomed herself. Two days of antibiotics. I really hope it works she is one of our favorited out of the seven. We call her bumble because of her feet. She doesn't talk much like she use to. Thanks for your help

4. Muffie

Feb 9, 2014
    Her feces are a little watery but yest were good but few. We have been doing Epsom salt soaks since she has been limping

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may have an infection. I wish there were some way you could get help near there. But we can come up with ideas and you can go with your instincts, and do your best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by