Lame Duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DanceswLabs, Nov 13, 2010.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    One of our 4.5 week old Runner Ducklings is limping and spending a lot more time lying down than the others. It isn't extreme, but it is noticable. I was reading up on bumblefoot and wondered if it could have that. Here are pictures of it's feet. Should I take the duckling to the vet or can I treat it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ouch! Poor baby. What kind of bedding are you using? What kind of feed are they eating? Sometimes nutritional deficiencies can cause problems, sometimes it's environmental.

I would be surprised if you'll need a vet. I don't have personal experience with bumble foot, but others on here have & will hopefully provide lots of valuable assistance. I think the chances of a full, inexpensive recovery are high. Good luck!

3. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    They are eating Purina Flock Raiser. During the day, they are outside in a 10 x 10 chainlink kennel on the ground. At night I put them back in the brooder. I was using pee pads on the wire, but I quit doing that when i was picking them up dripping. Under the wire is equine pellet bedding. I am thinking of moving them outside at night with a light for warmth, because 7 ducklings in the brooder is awfully crowded.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Do you have concrete in the run? That is a big issue for duck feet. You can cover it with stall mats or rubber runners from Home Depot for 10 bucks a roll. It also can be the wire you use. It is best to use coated hardware cloth.

Bumblefoot needs to be treated with antibiotics. You can get powdered one at the feed store and just mix it into the drinking water.

5. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    We don't have concrete, but I'll bet the wire in the brooder caused it. We do herd them around outside to play, and they run across our gravel driveway. I don't know if that is a problem. I got some antibiotic at TSC. I was going to get stall mats, but they told me those are going on sale the day after thanksgiving, so i decided to wait. We will move their kennel every few days to newer grass (which is mostly dead now anyway). I do want to have stall mats in their kennel eventually. Also, I am putting them out in a crate tonight with a heat lamp. I think they will be a lot more comfortable out there than in the crowded brooder. These babies are getting big, but they still think I am their mama! Thanks for all the advice. I will let you know how it goes.

6. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Another question....I got Duramycin-10. Is that appropriate to give a duckling? And if so, can anyone tell me where I can find a website that explains how to measure out a quart's worth of Duramycin-10 without needing an honors math calculator?[​IMG] I am fairly smart (booksmart at least -- ok....except for math), but the directions on the Duramycin-10 envelop makes me wonder how anyone can ever use it with confidence. Thank you in advance for advice math scholars![​IMG]

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Your babies are getting big. You will have to post some photos so we can see them all. Sorry to heat about your babies foot.

8. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    They are getting big. I will take some good pics of them tomorrow. They are so pretty right now....fawn and white with yellow down.

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow, it seems like they just hatched yesterday, too.

Hope his little foot gets better.

10. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I ordered 2 F&W but 1 died after 2 days. The 1 I have left Bam Bam,,,shes something else I tell you. Shes my puddle duck, always got her head in a mud puddle or she will go off on her own in the pool and sit and QUACK for the whole neighborhood to hear her, she chatters away and digs another hole and comes flying on tippy toes when I have PEAS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by