Lame goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by The Sheriff, Jul 5, 2010.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I have a one year old pair of mini Oregon geese I purchased from Holderreads. The female developed a limp. I took her to the vet who could find nothing wrong. We treated her with anti-inflammatory medication and then she started sitting on eggs. After almost four weeks of sitting on clear eggs she no longer limped. However, recently the gander has developed a limp. His feet look fine, top and bottom. I did notice the joint is a bit warmer to the touch on the affected side. Could you kind geese people please take a look at this video and see if you can give me any ideas. I feed them Mizouri waterfowl feed and when I called Holderread's about it they said I was feeding them better than they did so I don't think it nutritional. I could be wrong and I am open to all suggestions.

Here's the link to the youtube video. Sorry about the crowing and poor quality.

2. jennifer@couplandtx.org

jennifer@couplandtx.org Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    IMO, just get some brewers yeast or niacin quickly and put it in their water, that is all that I can suggest. It is in 'the book'... jennifer

3. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    jennifer@couplandtx.org :

IMO, just get some brewers yeast or niacin quickly and put it in their water, that is all that I can suggest. It is in 'the book'... jennifer

Thanks Jennifer. I have "the book" and spoke to the Holderread's who stated that the waterfowl feed was great nutritionally. My avian vet agreed. I am hoping it is something as simple as a niacin deficiency and that it is not too late. I got both the niacin and the Brewer's yeast and will start them tonight.

Mary​

4. jennifer@couplandtx.org

jennifer@couplandtx.org Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    Great, also those who have stated similar problems have said that after one day the problem is fixed w/ the niacin (brewers yeast) added to the water, so after you get them a good dose, please repost to let us know. You might crush a little up and put it on their food, to ensure they get some quickly. But I don't think it is too late... good luck. jenn

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I added 100 mg/gallon of niacin to their drinking water and I sprinkled brewers yeast on their food. I read that they get niacin from pulling grasses up by the roots and eating the dirt. We have sod here which is really tightly packed and hard for them to pull up by the roots. Somedays they sit in one spot and pull and pull until the get a bare patch. I has also observed Clyde eating dirt from the chicken's dust baths. Hopefully this work. It is so sad to watch him limping around. Plus I paid big bucks for a breeding pair and I WANT BABIES!

Thanks. I will post results.

Mary

6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    One of my ducks is having the same problem, except less severe. I feed all of my ducks and geese Flock Raiser.I think she just injured herself though, because one of the other ducks had that problem and it cleared up. [​IMG] I hope your goose gets better! [​IMG]

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Thanks Bock.

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    jennifer@couplandtx.org :

Yes it is by the book, but he checked with the man that wrote the book! your advise can't hurt But I doubt that it is needed.

The legs are the weakest part of a goose, I watched the video and I think the limp was caused by an injury usually they recover by them selves. I would provide some easy entrance/exit pool time where he can get the weight off the leg and still get exercise in the leg.
    Mini Oregon geese? Do you know why Dave named them that? they look like mini Pilgrims! As you can see from my screen name I am a goose person but I rarely say I love your geese, but I love your geese! did you get them as goslings or started geese?​

9. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Yes it is by the book, but he checked with the man that wrote the book! your advise can't hurt But I doubt that it is needed.

The legs are the weakest part of a goose, I watched the video and I think the limp was caused by an injury usually they recover by them selves. I would provide some easy entrance/exit pool time where he can get the weight off the leg and still get exercise in the leg.
    Mini Oregon geese? Do you know why Dave named them that? they look like mini Pilgrims! As you can see from my screen name I am a goose person but I rarely say I love your geese, but I love your geese! did you get them as goslings or started geese?

Thanks! We love them too. I got them as started geese from Dave Holderread. I believe they are about a year old. I bought a breeding pair, mid price range. They do have a small pond and spend time in there daily. I am so hoping that the leg heals. I will post updates.

Thanks,

Mary

10. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    For a while my goose had a limp off and on. It would look really bad and then be gone, a couple of days later it would be back. Now it's been gone for a long time. Really really check for a string around the leg in the upper part. We had that with a duck who had a bad wing at the same time and we thought he had something really wrong. Finally we figured he got caught by the leg and injured the wing trying to get away. Once we got the string off he was fine but we tried wrapping the wing and he just wiggled out so his wing still looks bad.

I have an email in to Holdrreads - over a week ago - to see what they have available in mini geese but they haven't answered. Did it take a long time for them to get back to you?

Good luck Hope it goes away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by