Lame Hen in Molt

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Hello. My sweet 2-year-old Buckeye, Minnie, is in her first molt and it’s pretty significant. I was out of town for a couple days during thus time and now she is lame. Not sure if it’s molt related, if she injured herself or if Marek’s is rearing its ugly head during molt stress. . I think Marek's is most likely and suspect she possibly didn’t eat the whole time I was out of town this weekend and got malnourished to the point of neurological symptoms.

Anyway, she’s inside tonight. She drank a good amount of water and ate sardines and a little brown rice. Did not touch dry feed and only took a couple bites of baby bird formula spiked with nutridrench. I may need to tube to get the proper vitamins in her. Is it B complex, E and selenium for Marek’s? What doses? Is riboflavin important? I will likely need to order some things or grab them at Whole Foods tomorrow on lunch break.

Minnie did seem to get a bit stronger after eating, but clearly is going to need some big support to get through this molt. She stood and took a couple steps at one point, which is promising.

Right now I’m in wait-and-see mode with supportive care. I may try a sling for a bit tomorrow, but I work all day and won’t leave her in one while I’m not home.

Info on the vitamins would be appreciated. Thanks!

Minnie is fine. Sorry for the false alarm. Not sure if she’s eating and there is stuff in her crop, so I’ll check in the morning. If it gets to the point that she’s starving herself, I’ll just tube her to get her through molt.

So Minnie’s LEG is fine, but her crop had s firm nugget about the size of a quarter this morning. I’m not sure if the lameness was related. Anyway, I tubed a little (15-20mL) warm pedialyte and broke up the clog. After several minutes I tubed about 30mL baby bird formula diluted further with pedialyte. Then I tubed another 40mL plus of the same before I left the house. I’m letting her be a chicken with her flock and will do my best to help with the crop impaction and nutrients. I think it’s going to be OK.

Can I just say AGAIN…. tube feeding is by far the most important skill I have learned while keeping chickens.

Back
Top Bottom